Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Is this the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Default Is this the problem?

Hi guys, I have posted several times about some issues I have been having with the steering on my car and some strange noises.
So far the only person to work on the car was the mechanic. Now this morning I jacked up the left side and took off the wheel jus t to have a look at whats under there. I was looking at the lower control arm and realised that there is a bolt missing. There is a bolt near the hub, then there is one on the shock mount but the third one os missing. Could this be the problem?

Please hurry with the replies because I want to get as much done now the car is jacked up with the wheel off.
thanks

Old 07-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Default RE: Is this the problem?

a picture will help out alot.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

pics are nice it might be a sway bar bolt possible, but its hard to say without a picture

Old 07-08-2007, 10:18 AM

I took it to the mechanic and he said it holds the lower arm to something called a torsion bar(something like that). By the way, the niose I hear when i brake sound like two pieces of metal being scrunched against each other. The slower the car gets then the slower the scrunching sounds get. That has me convinced that it somehow has to do with the calipers, but I dont know where to start.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:06 AM
HCF Member

your rotors could be warped or check ur caliper bolts see if ther are torqued beyond specs

Old 07-08-2007, 11:50 AM

i already changed the rotors and pads but the noise is still there

Old 07-08-2007, 07:10 PM
mxs
HCF Member

what car do you have?

Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 AM

1997 civic 2dr coupe. D16Y7 EJ6

NB. The noise first appeared after we had taken off the front hubs to change the wheel bearings.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:15 PM
HCF Member

I was looking at the lower control arm and realised that there is a bolt missing. There is a bolt near the hub, then there is one on the shock mount but the third one os missing. Could this be the problem?
If theres a hole and threads showing where something "should be" .....this is a problem, no matter how minor you or any mechanic might portray it to be. You want your car safe, with no rattles, and no missing part, even the small ones. I would simply have the missing nut's bolt's and parts replaced/repaired.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: DaRKoN

I jacked up the left side and took off the wheel jus t to have a look at whats under there. I was looking at the lower control arm and realised that there is a bolt missing. There is a bolt near the hub, then there is one on the shock mount but the third one os missing. Could this be the problem?
are you talking about the front lower control arm, or the rear?

Quick Reply: Is this the problem?