HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   product experence (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/product-experence-92336/)

bc_civic_guy 02-23-2012 07:52 PM

product experence

i'm looking at AMR and PROGRESS coilover kits and i'm just wondering if anyone out there has any experence or knowledge about these brands. whether they are a good brand or if i should stay away from them. Any input would be great thanks

civicexracer 02-25-2012 02:31 PM

Both are known to have a great reputation. AMR is a newer and up and coming company but seems to have already built a good reputation for their high quality products and great customer service. They are however much more expensive than the Progress CS-II coilovers. Which if you are simply looking for a mild drop for a fun street car, the Progress CS-II will get the job done exceptionally well all while being extremely affordable. They are the best coilovers on the market for the price, can't be beat.

If you're looking for pure performance and track use, the Koni/GC setup has been in use for MANY years by thousands of racers, casual and hardcore national level. It is a cheaper option than AMR, has all the same capabilities as AMR(maybe even more) but costs less. Lifetime warranty and good customer service as well.

EDIT:
Just saw your other thread that you have a 7th gen Civic.

In which case, the Progress CS-II's are still cheaper than the AMR but for what you get out of the AMR kit, I'd say AMR is just about worth it. Koni/GC for 7th gen's is still good, and the cheapest option, but kind of a pain to install. The Koni's are strut inserts which means for the front you have to hack up the stock strut bodies and install the Koni insert.

bc_civic_guy 02-27-2012 05:51 PM

thanks for the info. i was looking at the koni sport kit which is everything springs, struts and shocks think. is that what you were talking about when you said the konis were an insert because i would just as soon spend a bit more and have something i can put in and not have to hack up my struts. and the reason i was going with coilovers is for adjustability but that doesn't really make a difference now because i'm still going to be lower then stock so drop springs will for as well and i don't really want to be any lower then 1.5 inches due to the amount of snow we get up here in the north

civicexracer 02-27-2012 06:21 PM

Yeah Koni doesn't sell full body struts for these model Civics. So the only way to use Koni's is to cut up the stock strut body and insert the Koni shock. They are great, but more work and you won't have your stock front struts anymore.

bc_civic_guy 02-27-2012 08:01 PM

i was also looking at tokico non adjustable shocks and struts but i don't know anything about this company and then its a question on what springs do i use with it and i only need a mild drop like no more then 1.5 inches. i looked at the gc springs but it didn't say anywheres if they were sold in sets of 4 and what the drop was on them. and thanks for the help civicexracer

civicexracer 02-29-2012 07:10 PM

The Tokico "blues" are just OE replacement shocks. You may as well leave your current ones on if they are good, no real performance upgrade from them.

The Eibach Pro-Kit would be fine to use with the stock shocks but may not get you as low as you want. The Eibach Sportlines will probably get you the drop you want but it'll be a good idea to upgrade your shocks.

Ground-Control sells coilover sleeves. They go over the shock body and are adjustable. They sell them as kits which come with all 4 adjustable sleeves and all 4 springs. However because they are adjustable and most people buy them for performance and/or to lower the car quite a bit, the springs used with them are rather stiff. So you would need a good performance shock like the Koni's in order to use them. The whole kit would be more expensive than your other options for what you want out of the car. Probably not the route you want to go.

bc_civic_guy 03-03-2012 08:53 PM

thanks for the info again . If the tokico blues aren't any better then stock then i don't want those. I want something with better performance then what i have. I htought about the koni shocks and struts but i don't want to hack up my factory struts just incase so i guess my next question would be what is a good brand of dampers to go with and it doesn't really matter if they are adjustable ride height or not and i was thinking about going with the H&R drop springs. and once again thanks for all your input civicexracer