Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

quick question about lowering

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 PM
HCF Member
Default quick question about lowering

Ive thought about lowering my 97 coupe 5speed i think it makes the car look more sporty anyways, im just curious if lowering my car would have any affects on how the car rides for example how it handles etc...Any input is appreciated

Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: quick question about lowering

yeah it would probly change how it rides. since its lower it has a lower center of gravity giving you better handling i guess haha depends alot if you just got springs, or a full coilover set. full coilovers would yeild better results but springs are fine too

Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 AM
HCF Member

It really just depends what you choose to lower it on. The shocks plus the springs or coilovers that you choose will have a big effect on how it rides or handles.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 AM

if you're changing just the spring, the look will change but not the handles. If you want to increas your handles, you've to change shock absorbers too. The better deal is agx absorbers + H&R springs. I had that and it was great. The great deal between confort and handles.

Sorry for my english, I'm french....

Old 04-09-2008, 01:01 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: rock lee

if you're changing just the spring, the look will change but not the handles. If you want to increas your handles, you've to change shock absorbers too. The better deal is agx absorbers + H&R springs. I had that and it was great. The great deal between confort and handles.

Sorry for my english, I'm french....

Hmmm.......(CLICK ME!)i have them now as well (thats almost a 2 year old thread) and can vouch too.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:31 AM

if you're changing just the spring, the look will change but not the handles. If you want to increas your handles, you've to change shock absorbers too.
False.
Upgrading springs increases handing (assuming they're not some no-name eBay springs), although it is a good idea to change your shocks/struts because many springs will not work on stock shocks/struts, eventually making the stock shocks/struts blow out. Plus, upgrading shocks/struts will further increase your handling.

The better deal is agx absorbers + H&R springs. I had that and it was great. The great deal between confort and handles.
I have KYB AGX's and H&R Sport Springs also. They are amazing and I definitely recommend both.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:29 PM
HCF Member

The new Mitsu EVO with ultimate suspension packagae runs Eibachs and that's what I have, too. A big part of handling comes from your tires. I would not recommend anything bigger than 16s for a 97 (same year as mine), but with 205/45/16s, steering response isMUCH faster. The ride is a bit harsher, so make sure an upgrade in whel size doesn't add unsprung weight. My wheels and tires weigh the same as the stock14-inch steelies.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 PM
HCF Member

I run Eibach Pro Dampners, and Tein S-tech's. They ride is like stock except for firmer. Cornering is greatly enhanced, bumps in the road are noticed a bit more, speed bumps feel ok. I am one of the few that choose springs over coilovers, I love my setup, but thats just me.