Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rattling Noise Rear Right

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 04:11 AM
Default Rattling Noise Rear Right (brake drum)

I have a 2005 Civic DX Special Edition. I purchased a set of tires and rims with summer tires off a 1997 civic on them to swap out my winter tires. I switched them out, torqued them down, and now I have a rattling type noise from the back especially when going over bumps but even when driving down the road. When the brakes are pressed the sound generally stops. I figured it might be the rear drums, but pulling the wheels off and taking the drum off everything seems tight. Any thoughts on what else I can check?

Last edited by rileysowner; 05-18-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Clarifying title.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:07 PM

I had some time today to poke around some more. I am pretty sure the issue is that the brake drum is able to move on that wheel when I have the wheel on. I thought I would try the front wheel on the back to see if the issue was that one rim, and had the same issue--the nuts are torqued correctly, but the drum has a tiny bit of play allowing it to make a rattling noise when driving. I put the winter wheel on, and it was fine. I am not sure what is up unless the rim from a 1997 Civic don't actually fit or perhaps even though they look good, that they are worn on the inside. Either way, it stinks that these wheels and tires (tires are almost new) may not work for me. I would try to get the local shops to swap them over but these tires are 185/65 14, not the stock 185/70 14 that are stock so they tend to be unwilling to do so. Suggestion on what I might possibly do to use these wheels would be appreciated.