HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   Rear Coils, Struts! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/rear-coils-struts-93451/)

aztecaa 06-11-2012 04:56 PM

Rear Coils, Struts!

2000 Honda Civic DX Auto!

I live in a dusty, dirt , pot holes, hills area! I use my Honda for just about everything from loading cement bags in the trunk to driving up hills! I beat it up good and try to do all repairs myself. Great Car!

Issue is my rear struts and coils. I went to a 15 inch rear wheel and have an all season type tire.
About 1 1/2 years ago I replaced the rear struts with Koni's.
I bought a coil expander and put one on each side of the rear only!
My ride was much better and handled loads better!
About a month ago I heard a clacking sound from one side of the rear and then month later the other side. I was driving a total of 5 people around here and there a couple of times and they said your struts are gone. Is it possible that my struts blew out. I can really feel it when i go through a dip or a pot hole. I think my coils are not helping with the load and must have caused my struts to blow out after only one year.
Any suggestions on replacing my coils with some stiffer ones from the wrecking yard. What model vehicle has the same fit but stiffer coils?
I did see these ads on Ebay, what do u think about which way is best to go?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-ADJUSTAB...sories&vxp=mtr

cvcrcr99 06-11-2012 05:23 PM

Well, if you want to cheap out on it, go for it. My suggestion is to spend ~$800 on a brand new set of one piece coilovers so you know that everything is made to work together. Koni yellows and ground control coilovers are fine, too. But you will end up spending a decent amount on that as well.

Konis are usually fine, but if your springs are crap, I can see that taking a toll on struts.

If you buy those ebay coilovers (no names) and install them on those OEM replacement struts, they will fail again. Not sure how long, but if you are beating on the car, maybe a year at most. The warranty would probably be void if they found out you installed coilovers on the struts.

For the rears, all 96-00 Civics will be compatible. For the fronts, all 92-00 Civics are compatible.

aztecaa 06-11-2012 10:00 PM

one piece coilovers! Are they , the strut one piece that connects to the bracket? Also how do i know if the one piece is better than the Koni's?
My Koni's are orange color! I did find this on Amazon...

Amazon.com: Blox Racing Street Series Coilovers 92-00 Civic / 94-01 Integra: Automotive...

Amazon.com: MEGAN RACING FULLY ADJUSTABLE EZ STREET SERIES COILOVER DAMPER KIT ( 15 WAY DAMPENING ADJUST ) 1992 - 2000 HONDA CIVIC ( EK / EG ) / 1994 - 2001 ACURA INTEGRA ( DC2 / DC4 ): Automotive

cvcrcr99 06-12-2012 06:34 AM

Yes, both of those will be fine. Not the best, but better than what you have now. What are the spring rates of those kits?

aztecaa 06-12-2012 08:09 AM

Front: 8 kg/mm (447 lbs/in)
Rear: 6 kg/mm (335 lbs/in) on the Blox
and.....
The Megans
SPRING RATES: Front: 62mm ID; 180mm length; 10 kg/mm /
Rear: 62mm ID; 180mm length; 5 kg/mm

cvcrcr99 06-12-2012 09:10 AM

I like the Blox set-up better. It is similar to mine and is actually not that bad.

aztecaa 07-22-2012 11:18 AM

I called up a tech guy at Andy's Auto Sport and he said the Spec D coil over sleeves are stiffer than the original equipment on my Honda. As long as I don't lower the vehicle and leave it, will be stock height. I after some checking around I ended up buying Godspeed coil over sleeve kit front and back. Waiting for delivery. I asked the weight of Andy's coil over kit and he later after having to call them back said it was 25lbs. The ones from Godspeed were 35 lbs, so I went with the heavier one around the same price. My theory is heavier, stiffer!
I know you guys said to go with the whole coil over but i just don't have the money and since I need to replace the Koni's that are only a 1 1/2 old I might as well put in Sleeves.

aztecaa 07-26-2012 06:55 PM

I just installed my rear coilover sleeves with springs and set it at 10.
I had to put my old struts back in in order to send back my Koni's for replacement.
The car is way tooo bouncy and i just read some posts here that ....
There are front and rear coils, oops...also to cut the bump stop down to about 1/2" for more travel.
Does that sound about right.
The coilovers are GODSPEED!