Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rear Disc Brakes faulty

Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Default Rear Disc Brakes faulty

Hi guys im hoping you can help me with this fault.
I bought a secondhand civic 1.4 X reg which has been well serviced but ever since having it ive always noticed a noise from the rear brakes,like a grating noise.I assumed it was the pads rubbing against some corrosion on the discs and and that it would sort itself out but instead its got worse to the point i stall the car when reversing! When i realised the rear offside disc was extremelt hot i thought i should sort it.
I took off both rear wheels and have familiarised myself with the bits but i would like to know what i should do first.

Haynes manual has been ordered.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-25-2010, 05:41 AM

Check to see if the pads are worn...and maybe you need new rotors...If you have an outside micrometer, id say to measure the thickness of the rotors, and see if they could be turned on a brake lathe...What year is your civic?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Cat Fuсker

Check to see if the caliper on that side slides freely on the slides. I bet it doesn't.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:14 AM

with both wheels off the discs dont turn freely at all.One is worse than the other.
I have tried removing the calipers and removed the two bolts but they still wont come off.
a online manual says i need to remove the trailing arm bolt? but shows no picture of it.
Theres a bolt with a spring on it that looks like it requires a hexagonal allen type key to undo so im wondering if its that?
My haynes manual is on its way so im hoping that helps and i've ordered some new calipers from ebay.
To makes matters worse i tried to undo one of the bolts the wrong way and ended up rounding it off,so im stuck with either trying to hacksaw new edges to it or just wrenching the whole caliper off provided i find out where that trainling arm bolt it.
any advice?

looking on the web it looks like caliper seizing is fairly common

Last edited by sparkywilliams; 02-27-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:05 PM

that bolt with the spring is your Ebrake cable...If you took off the 2 correct bolts then use a flathead screw driver and try prying the caliper away from the rotor...

Old 03-06-2010, 01:49 AM

Thank you guys for the advice.
I've now fitted new calipers and nearly completed the job.
I have questions:
in the pack of calipers i got some assembly grease..where do i put this and also should i pull out all the slider pins and lubricated them with grease and then put back in with the fresh rubber boots that ive got.(do these just lodge in?)
Basically i want to do this job ad not have to do it again in a few years time!!

The old calipers pistons were proper rusted and would not move,so with the brand spanking new ones are they greased inside? as all i can see is a rubber ring around the piston. so how can you ever service them and prevent this happening again?

Thank you guys!

Last edited by sparkywilliams; 03-06-2010 at 05:17 AM.