Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Tires advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Question Tires advice

I need new tires on my 2008 Civic Sedan LX after only 28,000 miles. I'd like tires with more tread wear. I drive in Northern WI snow, so I am looking for a good all season tire for a good price. Does anyone have any comments about driving a civic with a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/A T? That is the tire I am currently looking at. Any thoughts?

Old 12-23-2008, 02:08 PM
HCF Member

i dunno about the BFs but I am running Kumho Ecsta ASX's (got them for around 55 a tire on tirerack.com, they are under the "ultra-high performance all-season" category) in upstate NY which has pretty bad winters and they have served me well in snow since I haven't gotten stuck since. They are also resistant to hydroplaning and while they dont compare to a good set of summer tires, they have good dry and wet traction in non-winter conditions as well. As far as bang-for-buck goes I would recommend these as far as all seasons go, just check to see if tirerack has them in the size for the 8th gen. Of course these aren't winter tires and you still have to take things alot slower in the snow, but as long as you are easy on the throttle you'll be fine. Mashing it in 1st or 2nd gear on snow or ice will spin the tires out very fast and have you just revving, but as long as i accelerate at a reasonable pace i can keep the tires from losing traction pretty easily and they respond pretty well to braking on snow.

Last edited by C-lo; 12-23-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks C-Lo. I'll check those tires out.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

According to Consumer Reports, the all-season tires having the best combination of snow traction AND tread life are the Continental ContiExtremeContacts. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S did well, but they are usually expensive. The Kumho ASXs are a bit better than average in the snow, but are just average when it comes to tread life. The Contis were the only tires tested that had much better than average tread life.
The Sumitomo HTRs are great in the snow, but they wear out way faster than most tires.

For those of you who see only light snow, the Falken Ziex ZE-912s and the Nitto NEO Gen ZR are great bang-for-the-buck tires. They are really good all-around tires, but are not nearly as good in the snow as the Contis and Michelins.

The BF Goodrich Traction TAs are rated worse than average with snow traction, but are much better than average when it comes to dry traction.

Last edited by conceptualpolymer; 01-01-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

Personally I would get a set of front tires for the winter, and a set for the summer. I live in northern michigan so I got around the same amount of snow. I've got Firestone Winterforces and I can get through more stuff than my friend that has a 4x4 with street tires. But for a set of all seasons I have no idea.

Last edited by kanarrjl; 01-01-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:27 PM
HCF Member

I there is snow on the roads most of the time, then an all-Winter tire might be appropriate. The best of that bunch is the Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW3 H. Still, the Contis I mentioned above are not only great in the snow, but also handle fairly well and can be left on all-year long. Snow tires should be changed seasonally.