Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rock the steelies or wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:43 PM
HCF Member
Default Rock the steelies or wheels

I don't have alot of extra money right now for appearence because of a situation that has me needing to do engine work before anything really besides suspension setup. I am currently riding on my 14" steel winter wheels and tires right now but need to get them off to preserve the winter tread. Now I priced out some nice enkie's I liked with some falken rubber and its about 900 bucks shipped for that. Should I just buy some newer civic steel wheels in a 15" size so I can still get the 195/50/r15 tires I had in mind and just use them for a bit this summer until I go back to work in July (im in college going to trades school for 2 month'sstarting tommorow) and then pick up some wheels and swap over after? Should I use hubcaps as well? lol My car is a eg hatch that is red colored. And the car will be pretty quick, winter tires aren't gonna cut it if I get a h22a swapI really nedd to get the winter tires off tho to save those investments. I could probally use that 900 for body work or motor work (im in a different city then where I work and my friend here has got to do the motor with me before I go back) thats why the motor work is first on my priority.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Default RE: Rock the steelies or wheels

leave the winter tires on until ur done the swap and can afford a good set of wheels and tires. those tires ur using for winter will probably last a while since they probably arnt very soft. u'll def. need a good set of tires to keep traction with an H22, just save up.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:06 PM
HCF Member

alright thanks for the advice. I actually tracked down some nice 13" wheels they are hella expensive but I want to use a toyo proxes tires. They give badass grip but wear a little quicker then say a normal street tire. Ive been looking at them for a while now. But I might just go with a 15" wheel not sure.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if ya rock steelies... might i sugest a set of hubcaps from a newer EK. thats what i put on my 94.... my stock wheels and hubcaps from my 99 civic. looks nicer than the EG hubcaps at least....

first time my friend seen them thought they where SI rims.LOL

Old 04-27-2008, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

^^ looks good, those are the hubcaps Im always looking at on ebay. Hey what do you think of using a 13" wheel with toyo proxes 888r tires. They have a size of 195/60/13 or 205/55/13 they are supposed to hook up really good and are pretty much barely street usable. Wear isn't too bad and traction is A+ which will help with an h22a motor. I have a guy at the local shop here that can hook me up some nice 13" wheels from japan off of one of there rhd eg6's. Im pretty sure I want the wheels but tire choices are limited in this size, although this is the stock wheel size on a cx hatch.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o ya my hubcaps are from my 99 ex so they are 14s.... so youd have to buy some 14s steelies

Old 04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
HCF Member

hey marc what do you think of putting these wheels on my car. They are a 13" two-piece wheel spec'd for a civic and can accept a 205/60/r13 tire. I think they are older American Racing I had them basically given to me today.Or should I sell them for $$ and buy a different wheel? I really like the wheels and 13" lower pro tires/wheels look good on the little hatch's from what Ive seen but tire choice is limited for performance tires=$$. Plus I should be able to drop the car lower with this setup. Sell them for more then I got them (dirt cheap) or use them which I am wanting to do a bit more. Obviously a 13" low pro perfomance tire will hook as well as a 15" just a bit taller sidewall.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13922/42E8D8CC81794DF0BF51A5EA1799EBD5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

they dont look to bad.... alot better than bare steelies......

tires should be pretty cheap being only 13s..... needless to say nice winter rims

your call... money or slightly better than steelies..

Old 04-28-2008, 02:11 PM

the Toyo R888's probably wont last you a summer esp if u drive on them daily. they have a tread wear rating of 100. tho they will probably grip great, hardly ideal for daily street use. not to mention their very expensive. something with a 200-300 wear rating would probably be in ur better interest. just to name a few, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R, Dunlop DirezzaSport Z1, Falken Azenis RT-615. for better wet performance, Kumho Ecsta SPT. those will all give u great grip, last longer and are cheaper.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:27 PM
HCF Member

thanks for the info on the tires,I was actually looking at those kuhmo escta tires. I realized the tw on the toyo's is way to quick. I might just see what I can get for the wheels, or see how they look when I actually get them here and mabey mount them on the car to see what they look like. Im trying to pull off as much of a sleeper look as possible for now (because of cost and for the suprise to local civic's here, there are mabey 4 h22a powered civics around and only one other eg hatch that im aware of.) The rest are b16/18 and a few f20 sedans. Its gonna be fun tearing off from a green light with the torque and a stock looking car with a nice suspension/tire setup. Will keep the wheels as unflashy as possible anyways. I will haveto see tho when they arrive how they look, I can surely sell them here for what I paid, and easily more as this was threw a friend that didn't need them anymore.