Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

shock/spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Default shock/spring replacement

i'm replacing shocks on my 91 civic auto. lx. car is stock down to the tape deck with original owner's manual in the glove box.

should i get those autopart replacement type vs aftermarket?
replace springs while i'm at it?

what do you guys suggest based on knowledge and experience?
i dont want to lower suspension and dump money into it as this is my daily driver.
what brand shocks do you recommend?

i'll also be replacing all the front suspension bushings and ball joints as they are worn down. so if you have any suggestions on brands plz chime in. i've checked out the diys in forum and will tackle this project at home

Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM

The shocks like Monroe from the local parts stores are decent, they'll work just fine though. How many miles are on you car? Springs are springs, they should be fine to leave them be. If you have some extra money to play around with, the only other brands I'd suggest looking into for an OE replacement are Tokico and KYB. Tokico has their Tokico HP shock(I used to have these and I liked them), they are slightly more aggressive than your stock shocks but still comfortable. The KYB GR2 is another OE replacement, comparable to the Tokico HP. If you want one of those, just go with which ever is cheaper out of those two.

For a good cheap bushing kit, look into Energy Suspension. I use their bushings on my race car and they are great. Good price and easy to install.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:42 PM

thanks for info civicexracer, will strongly consider your suggestions. will also update the forum on my work in progress

Old 03-06-2011, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

The KYB GR2s are okay (a little bit too soft if you ask me) and reasonably-priced but if you want the ultimate, Bilsteins are the ones to get.