Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Shocks needed for just springs??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Default Shocks needed for just springs??

I am lookin at a pair of lowering springs for my civic to lower it but im not sure if u would need new shocks to or not. i know u need new shocks with a coilover kit but i dont know if it is the same with just springs. My friend lowered his car with just springs and it rides nice he didnt but ne new shocks on there so i was wondering if u even need new shocks or not so if u could reply that would be much of help thanks

Old 12-06-2004, 07:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Shocks needed for just springs??

you dont "need" them, but the ride will be a lot better.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:58 PM

i know i dont need them but will it still ride like crap if i dont them that is the main question i was kinda ask to i just for got to ask it lol so if u could let me know that would be great thanks again.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:25 PM
HCF Member

most springs on stock shocks bounce a lot. not all, but most. its best to do them at the same time, cause if you have to take it apart twice youll be pissed. and if its too bouncy, it can be dangerous.

Old 12-08-2004, 04:00 AM

when you upgrade your springs it puts stress on stock struts (the piece that attaches the shock to the vehicle) and over a period of time (i've heard about 6 months) it'll begin to noticably worsen the ride as the struts become overloaded and degrade.

so i've been told (as i'm doing my springs/shocks right now) that i *could* do one at a time but like was previously mentioned, i'd just have to tear everything apart to do the other at a later date, plus i'd be on a deadline since the stock struts can only take so much of the punishment the new springs dish out before beginning to fail.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:45 AM
HCF Member

i have lowering springs on stock dampers for the last 2 years. no problems. Still rides like when i first put in the lowering springs. And it doesn't "bounce" much at all, not much more than when i had stock springs in anyway. oh, i drive the 99 b16a coupe (si/sir)

Old 12-08-2004, 01:49 PM

what kinda of springs do u have

Old 12-08-2004, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

eibach pro-kit. the reason why the ride is still good is because it is only a moderate drop. only dropped about 1.5". Although, I think the eibach springs are a little too soft for my liking.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:32 PM

Does the ride height matter how much "bounce" u get if so how would a 1.75" in the front and a 1.5" in the rear do on my car i have a 97 Honda Civic EX if you could let me know that would be great thanks

Old 12-08-2004, 11:02 PM

on lowering springs don't lover it more than 1.5inches cuz you are going to have problems I know some lower your car 1.75 front and 1.5 back I think that will be alright. If you want a really big drop than go with coilovers but not those cheep ones the ones that are attached to the shock.

Quick Reply: Shocks needed for just springs??