Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Spring Compressor question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:23 PM
HCF Member
Default Spring Compressor question

Ok, I am planning on putting on my h techs within the next few weeks, had a question about spring compressors.

Seen them used, make me nervous as *$#! Still not crazy about using them, but I know I can tackle this job, dont feel like running back and forth to a shop to have them do it. When I did the suspension on my Jeep, didnt need them, but now I guess I do on the civic (and please I dont want to hear about how you did it without it).

Aside from staying back from the springs trajectory, anybody ever thought of chaining/tying the spring to something immovable so if the cheapo autozone ones fail, at least the spring should stay put? Or is this a bad bad idea?

thanks

Old 04-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Default RE: Spring Compressor question

i've used the springs compressors from advanced auto and some that my friend has a dozen times on different kind of springs. first time using them, i felt a lil worried about the spring flying but after doing it so many times, it dosnt faze me. their a huge pain in the a$$ to work with tho, esp if u dont have air tools. air tools make compressing the spring a breeze and can be done quick painless. i guess if u want a fail-safe thing, use a clamp of some sort. tho it might be hard to fit a clamp or 2 when u have 2 spring compressors already on there..

Old 04-20-2007, 10:39 PM
HCF Member

thanks...

I have a Dewalt electric impact wrench, claims 300lbs/ft, though I don't know if that is really true. Used it for lug nuts, But it should work for compressing the springs too, I would think.

I know this is a stupid question, but the way I saw my buddy use a spring compressor was...sketchy. Basically, he just stood over the assembly, with it pointing up at him, and used the impact to tighten it down. Quick but sketched me out.

I would think it would be harder to do it if you had it turned on the side, maybe w/ your foot on top of the spring, pointing it away from you, as opposed to up at you...but safer.

I was thinking tie down the spring to a tree about 6" or so away, so it can't go flying off if something slips.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:31 AM
HCF Member

yea go to advanced auto parts and rent one. anyways, just stick them on opposite sides from each other and tighten onesome, then the other, keep doing that until you see that the spring is free from the top hat. i layed mine on the side that way i wouldnt have to hold the shock

Old 04-21-2007, 12:32 AM

umm yea don't point it at u. i had a spring fly off them before almost took my foot out. make sure u take your time and do it evenly don't tighten one of them all the way. go back and forth from each compressor and u should be ok...