Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

squeeking noise with passenger

Old 02-14-2009, 07:58 PM
HCF Member
Default squeeking noise with passenger

what could be some possible reasons for metal on metal squeeking noise when I have a passenger in my car, but the noise goes away when there is no one there? It is coming from the passenger side and is not that loud. When it rained the noise went away too. Could it be the brakes? My pads/rotors have not been changed and the car is at 60,000 miles. The mechanic says my pads are still good (just by looking at the outside). I dont think its any issues with the coilovers or bushings or bearings. My mechanic is baffled about it because when he test drove it with me in it, we both heard aboslutely nothing, but as soon as I got home and drove my mom it started again and she weighs less than me - so weight is not a factor... Please help!! its a serious turn off for the ladies when they ask me whats that squeeking noise!!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:55 AM
HCF Member

Can you get your car safely up on jack stands? If you can, have someone rock the car at various points to see if the noise returns. You should then be able to then pinpoint the source. If you are not familiar with getting the car up on jack stands, then ask your mechaning to do this. If the noise occurs only when driving, then it could be a brake or drivetrain interference issue and that can be a bit more difficult to find. It could also be temperature-related. Things tend to squeek more when it's cold outside. That would typically point to a rubber bushing.