Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

steering column replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
HCF Member
Default steering column replacement

I have a 95 Civic EX. I was told at one time about a year before I had them replaced (by a Mobil mechanic) that I needed new tie rods. I bought OEM inner and outer tie rods off eBay for an awesome price and had an old friend install them in his driveway. He told me that I would have to get wheel alignment after that. About a week later making a sharp turn at a pretty low speed, the steering wheel ended up diagonal on the opposite side of where it was diagonal before.

I was told by a body shop that he thought I should junk the car and when I asked why he said it was because I needed a new steering column and it was going to cost about $1200 to replace it, even with a refurbished steering column.

I decided to just drive it like that and eventually I started getting an ABS light showing up when I drove. Then I realized I needed new brakes when the ABS kicked in when I was slowing down at stop lights (regular dry roads).

One friend said I should just piece the entire car out, part by part. I was going to do this until today when I realized that if I sell a few things, like the AEM CAI used and the spoiler which hasn't been used for over two years and is in pristine condition, maybe I could borrow some dough and have my old friend put in the new or used or refurbished steering column which I have yet to purchase. He said it would take an entire day and even though he's cool I would feel obligated to give the guy something.

Is a steering column replacement really complex? Should I go to a junkyard for one? Should I forget the whole idea and piece the whole Civic out part by part? Right now I just need a daily driver. One day I'll want much more than that, but for right now I was only offered $100 for the car by Honda and $300 by a private party that I didn't even know that asked about the problems (just some guy who approached me while I was filling up a while back at a gas station), so it's not like this car is going to get me enough money to buy a better daily driver and I had really wanted to get another Civic.

Sorry about the long post. I just don't know what I should do and really need advice. Thx.

P.S. I can't seem to edit my signature. The car now has 141K miles on it.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 AM
HCF Member

dam man that sux i wish i could help you im sure someone will good luck though hope you can swap it