Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Strange noise while driving?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 AM
HCF Member
Question Strange noise while driving?

2002 Civic DX / Magnaflow Exhaust / AEM Sri / 130k miles
So as of this past week I have been hearing a strange noise coming from my engine bay area. I first noticed it while I was driving home the other night and took a left turn and then it stopped. Shortly thereafter I noticed it while driving down the highway. More recently (aka this morning) while driving to work it became almost persistent the last 5 minutes of my drive.

The noise is kind of hard to explain but at first I thought it sounded like a loose ring clamp rattling against a piece of metal, or a squeaky belt.. however after listening to it for about 5 minutes this morning really close I think it sounds more like a suction/vacuum sound where there isn't enough fluid to fill the void.

The reason I am posting this in "Brakes" forum is because the noise disappears when I hit my breaks or come to a stop (which makes it difficult for me to figure out where the noise is coming from because I obviously can't stick my head in the engine bay while driving). However, it does almost sound like it is coming from the passenger side of the car. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you noticed any other problems with the car/brakes/engine/transmission that may be related to the sound?

Old 10-30-2008, 07:35 AM
HCF Member

Not really. I was curious if maybe it had something to do with my brakes, but I have not noticed any difference in braking power or response. I even had to hard break last night and it worked fine (from a 45mph to ~15mph roll for a corner - almost missed a street).

Transmission seems as smooth as it usually is - no difference in shift response, acceleration or slippage.

I bought the car "honda certified" in August 2005 and it had ~55k miles on it. I had to drive 100m/day for work for 2 yrs and have recently moved to a new job that is only 25mi/day commute (been here for 1yr). I brought it in for it's "honda general maintenance" until approx. 85k miles.. and since have only done oil changes with mobil 1 full syn. every 5k miles. I've never had transmission fluid changed, brake fluid changed, or coolant changed since I've had it - should I be doing any of that maintenance now at 130k miles?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I assume you only hear the noise when the car is moving. One possibility is that you are hearing the brake pad wear indicator in the front wheels. This can produce a metallic squeaking noise that sometimes stops when you hit the brakes. Remove the front wheels to check whether the brake pads are worn down and need to be replaced.

Yes, change all the fluids as you mentioned, as well as the clutch fluid if you have a manual transmission.

Last edited by RonJ; 10-30-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

duplicate post deleted

Old 10-30-2008, 07:44 PM
HCF Member

Ron, Thanks for all your help so far! Yes, I only hear the noise when the car is in motion and my foot is off the brake pedal. I am not too familiar with brakes and dealing with brake pads, etc - and really for something that important on my car I don't want to half-a** it or screw anything up so I am thinking of bringing in it to a shop to get it checked.. I know places like Midas do free brake checks... so are places like that okay/reliable/etc?

I am going to do the (auto) transmission fluid change this weekend. I checked tonight when I got home, and it was clear/black instead of the cherry red/orange that it's supposed to be... which I've read is when you know you should change it. I've also read that you should just go to a honda dealer and get the honda atf - 3 or 4 bottles(?) and drain/refill. Some people suggest draining/refilling/driving/repeat.. is that necessary?

Also, should I do the coolant and brake fluid as well?

Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Replacing brake pads is a DIY job if you want to save some money. Put the front end on stands and remove the front wheels. You are nearly halfway done at this point. See diagrams below for remaining details.

When you drain the transmission fluid, a substantial amount of old fluid remains in the transmission. To ensure elimination of most of the old fluid, you need to drain, fill, drive car, and repeat procedure two more times. I know, what a pain in the ***.

Yes, also replace the coolant (with 50:50 premixed) and the brake fluid.

Name:  picture_1590.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  picture_1591.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  95.3 KB

Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 PM
HCF Member

Noise starts when engine sees an increase in vacuum... noise goes away when car sees a decrease in vacuum, i.e sitting at idle, using brakes..

Is your idle rougher or lower than usual? I'm gonna go ahead and say you have a vacuum leak.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:15 AM
HCF Member

No difference in idle.. Like I was saying before, I don't notice anything different with how the car runs, shifts, or acts except the screeching noise. I'm really assuming that Ron is right with the brakes -- 3yrs and ~85k miles and I haven't checked/changed my brakes. I'll do everything this weekend and see what's going on and will let you know.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:50 AM
HCF Member

Got brake pads changed today... no more noise. Looks like it was the brake pad wear indicator like you said Ron. Thanks for the help. Now I just need to get the transmission and coolant changed and should be set to go for winter..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange noise while driving?