Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

suspension gurus?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:45 PM
HCF Member
Default suspension gurus?

I want to get a new suspension, but nothing too fancy. I like the stock height, but wouldnt mind lowering an inch or 2. However, i do not want to have to get camber kits. I would spend the money on a nice coilover system but then I need camber kits and before you know it I am almost at 2 grand. I saw KYB GR2s on ebay new for 180, I figure with stock springs and new bushings the car should ride and handle better no>? I just want a better ride thats all, and at 100K I think my stockers are due for replacement. Any suggestions>? Also, do I have to replace the bushings? I hear thats a pain in the ***, like more trouble than its worth.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: suspension gurus?

Jeez, dude... you're never around anymore... good to see you back on the forums

Anyway, I'm going to say getting new shocks and replacing the bushings will give you a bit better of a ride. I'm sure after 100k miles, the stock rubber bushings are pretty well done, so changing them out for some nice, new, shiny polyurethane bushings will smooth the ride out (as well as giving you slightly better handling). Really, I don't think changing the bushings is hard or anything (changing the rear LCA bushings isn't anyway), just time consuming.

And you really don't need a camber kit for lowered cars... as long as the toe gets set back to factory specs, you'll be fine.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:45 PM
HCF Member

started a new career so thats why I never post....I might get a bushing kit.....its just it seems like it may take awhile to install them, and since im not going to install a high perf suspension I dont know if it it will be worth it.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:21 PM

hey Pete, good to see ur still alive

the KYB GR2's are pretty much just OE replacements, maybe slightly better but as far as handling goes, it really wont do much over stock. their pretty good shocks tho if u just want to replace ur stock ones.for bushings, replacing the OE bushings with new OE bushings is a huge PITA. replacing with Energy Suspension Poly bushings is not that hard, just a tiny bit time consuming if u dont have power tools. i believe i used Reapers DIY on my front LCAbushings, really wasnt bad and made a decent improvement.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:37 AM
HCF Member

Im going to play it by ear and see how bad the stock bushings are. If theyre OK then I wont do em.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:48 PM
HCF Member

Pete,

Not sure how the bushings are on a 94 (pics would help), but on my 01 which I just switched the shocks and bushings out of the bushings area pain in the *** (the front LCA ones). I pulled out both of the front LCAs then had my friend drive me to my mechanic. We used their press machine to press out the old ones, and press in the new Energy Suspension Polyurethane bushings. If they are torn, Iwould suggest possibly getting new LCAs for the front that way you don't have to deal with a press and all of that trouble but it's up to you.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:54 AM
HCF Member

KYB GR2's on my 03 are amazing with skunk2 springs. but with skunk2s you need a camber kit

Old 07-14-2008, 10:09 AM
HCF Member

Pete i dunno if you've already gone through with it all, but the Tokico Blues and Tein S-Tech's i just put on the teg are awesome

Old 07-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

not that high. i maybe got 1,200total in my drop. still have to buy GC tophats but thats not a must if ya dont lower the car that much.thats with struts/coilovers/camber kits.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if you have a press or a shop localy that has a press its very simple. if they are seized just chop them off the rear LCA and take the LCA and new bushings to get pressed out and new in. and just reinstal.

Quick Reply: suspension gurus?