Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Suspension suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Default Suspension suggestion?

I've got an 04 Honda Civic 2-door DX, 1.7L. It's got just shy of 110k miles on it, and I think it's about time for a new suspension. Not to mention it got hail damage and I'm putting the insurance money into other parts and upgrades, so I want a nice new suspension anyway.

My price ceiling is $1200 (a little flexible, but hard limit at $1400), and I know next to nothing of suspension. I've been looking around at coilovers, and they seem to be pretty good for that price. I want something that won't lower the car much, if at all, but still has good performance. I'm definitely looking to get something that's higher performance than stock.

Any recommendations? Also vendors who carry them; I don't really know where to look. I've checked SummitRacing and RaceInspired (two places I've gotten parts from before), and they've got pretty meager selections when it comes to suspensions that'll fit my car.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Progress coilovers are easily the best coilovers for the money hands down and well within your buget. Very reputable company, high quality and will offer a relatively smooth ride while handling much better than stock.

I've never bought or heard anything from this site but doing a quick search, they seem to be the cheapest.
Progress Technology Series I Coilovers 75.1007 - Honda Civic Si « Free Shipping

Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Thanks for that. On the notes, it says that the kit "does not include the black OEM top hats." I'm assuming that just means that the kit doesn't come with the ones pictured on the site, rather than that there is some extra part I'll need to get?

What about the Skunk2 Pro-S II coilover's? Apparently that site has them on sale just now, they're pretty darn reasonable: Sunk2

Scratch that, between looking at the site and posting that, they removed the product. But I found a similar kit for a similar price here

My other question is: installation. As a poor college kid, I have next to no tools, and no know-how on what sort of pre-load I should set. Is this something I can get done down at the local Midas or Firestone?

Last edited by RedOctober; 08-04-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by RedOctober
Thanks for that. On the notes, it says that the kit "does not include the black OEM top hats." I'm assuming that just means that the kit doesn't come with the ones pictured on the site, rather than that there is some extra part I'll need to get?

What about the Skunk2 Pro-S II coilover's? Apparently that site has them on sale just now, they're pretty darn reasonable: Sunk2

Scratch that, between looking at the site and posting that, they removed the product. But I found a similar kit for a similar price here

My other question is: installation. As a poor college kid, I have next to no tools, and no know-how on what sort of pre-load I should set. Is this something I can get done down at the local Midas or Firestone?

There are no extra parts you need to get with the Progress coilovers. They picture their coilovers using the OE top mounts. You will reuse your OE top mounts.

Skunk2 is OK. However, these coilovers come with some pretty stiff springs and the valving on the shocks are matched so. Basically meaning the ride will be very rough. If you drive on bad roads and/or this is your daily driver, I'd suggest against them.

The Progress Coilovers will get you just as low but offer a much smoother ride.

First of all, forget about all the pre-load nonsense. I don't know if places like Midas or Firestone would install them, my guess would be they won't due to liability issues. If you want them installed, look to a reputable performance shop. But, anywhere you go, you're looking at a minimum of $300 to have them installed. After installed, you will need to have an alignment done which is another ~$60+.

For what it's worth, you might as well buy the very few and basic tools you need to install these and do it yourself. The only things you would need is a basic hand tool set, spring compressors and maybe a ball joint puller. The spring comressors and ball joint puller you can rent at a local auto store basically for free(rent the tool for X amount then return the tool and get your money back), it's no big deal.

Originally Posted by skitso32x
You can't go wrong with Skunk2's. As for installation, I doubt Firestone or Midas would handle that, unless they have someone on staff who would be willing to undertake the ''special'' job. I'd recommend looking around town for an independent shop or anyone who might specialize in aftermarket installation. Coilovers aren't too hard to install once you have the right tools so it shouldn't cost much. And if you're wanting to save some cash, I'd recommend looking into D2 or Megan Racing coilovers. I've had experience with both and they perform excellent for the price.
You can go wrong with Skunk2... They do have some questionable products out there. They aren't terrible, but they also aren't the best.

D2 and Megan Racing are the same thing, literally. And, they are both overpriced junk. You can have much better for about the same or less. Better meaning quality, reliability, versatility, warranty, price, etc... It makes no sense to me at all why people buy D2 or Megan Racing. Other than maybe they aren't taking the time to research, don't care or want some fancy colors or w/e.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by civicexracer
There are no extra parts you need to get with the Progress coilovers. They picture their coilovers using the OE top mounts. You will reuse your OE top mounts.

Skunk2 is OK. However, these coilovers come with some pretty stiff springs and the valving on the shocks are matched so. Basically meaning the ride will be very rough. If you drive on bad roads and/or this is your daily driver, I'd suggest against them.

The Progress Coilovers will get you just as low but offer a much smoother ride.

First of all, forget about all the pre-load nonsense. I don't know if places like Midas or Firestone would install them, my guess would be they won't due to liability issues. If you want them installed, look to a reputable performance shop. But, anywhere you go, you're looking at a minimum of $300 to have them installed. After installed, you will need to have an alignment done which is another ~$60+.

For what it's worth, you might as well buy the very few and basic tools you need to install these and do it yourself. The only things you would need is a basic hand tool set, spring compressors and maybe a ball joint puller. The spring comressors and ball joint puller you can rent at a local auto store basically for free(rent the tool for X amount then return the tool and get your money back), it's no big deal.

You can go wrong with Skunk2... They do have some questionable products out there. They aren't terrible, but they also aren't the best.

D2 and Megan Racing are the same thing, literally. And, they are both overpriced junk. You can have much better for about the same or less. Better meaning quality, reliability, versatility, warranty, price, etc... It makes no sense to me at all why people buy D2 or Megan Racing. Other than maybe they aren't taking the time to research, don't care or want some fancy colors or w/e.
I realize lowering the car is a huge part of the performance increase, what with lowering the center of gravity, decreasing load shift and all, but I'm hoping to lower it as little as possible. I tend to try to improve the performance without changing the look. I fear the "ricer" look. Anywho. It is my only car, so yes, it's my daily driver. So thanks on the heads up about the ride smoothness. As for the OEM hats, that's what I figured, I just wanted to be sure about it.

I've got hand tools. Sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, torque wrench. So yeah, I'll just pop into Autozone for the ball joint puller and spring compressor. Alignment? Figures. I just got an alignment done...Ah well. So how easy is it? I've got one of those Hayne's manuals floating around somewhere, think that'll be sufficient guide for a total novice?

As far as D2 and Skunk2, the kit from each of those brands I found is actually less than the Progress set.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by RedOctober
I realize lowering the car is a huge part of the performance increase, what with lowering the center of gravity, decreasing load shift and all, but I'm hoping to lower it as little as possible. I tend to try to improve the performance without changing the look. I fear the "ricer" look. Anywho. It is my only car, so yes, it's my daily driver. So thanks on the heads up about the ride smoothness. As for the OEM hats, that's what I figured, I just wanted to be sure about it.

I've got hand tools. Sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, torque wrench. So yeah, I'll just pop into Autozone for the ball joint puller and spring compressor. Alignment? Figures. I just got an alignment done...Ah well. So how easy is it? I've got one of those Hayne's manuals floating around somewhere, think that'll be sufficient guide for a total novice?

As far as D2 and Skunk2, the kit from each of those brands I found is actually less than the Progress set.
If you don't have a problem reading the Hayne's manual, you'll be fine. They do a good job explaining how to work on the suspension. You'll also need to pay close attention to the directions from the coilovers. As the coilover setup/install may be slightly different than an OE install that Haynes does.

I never recommend anything from D2. It may be cheaper in price, but it could cost you more in repairs/replacements down the road.. Skunk2 is OK, I'd say a little more trusting than anything D2. But, both of these coilover setups come with some pretty stiff springs and valving on the shocks. They are better suited for those looking to slam their car to the ground, which it sounds like it's not you. I also wouldn't recommend them if you want a comfortable ride. Stiffer springs=stiffer ride. The Progress coilovers will still make a significant difference over stock, but without such a sacrifice in ride quality.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:53 AM

All right. Thanks very much. I'll get those this week and see about getting them in by next week. I'll put up some updates here.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

Edit:

Damn. Those coilovers are $1075 a pair, so if I want to put them in back and front, that'll run $2150. I can swing it, but that'll really eat out of some money I was hoping to save for other projects down the road.

Last edited by RedOctober; 08-07-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:45 PM

Just to clarify, the link I posted was to the '02-'05 Civic Si model. Here is the link for the NON-Si model. It's the same price and all but Progress has them listed as different part numbers so there may be a slight difference.

Progress Technology Series I Coilovers 75.1006 - Honda Civic « Free Shipping

It is NOT $1075 a pair, that would be quite ridiculous. They only show a general picture which just shows 2 of them. If you look on Progress's website, they list the same part number as the link above: #75.1006. As you see on Progress's website, it is for the complete kit. 01-02 Honda Civic Coil-over kit Progress Technology: Anti-roll bars, sport springs, coil-overs, camber kits and more since 1995!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:16 PM

I did actually notice that myself and found the ones for my car, but thank you.

And you're right, they're not. That's ridiculous, and I know what I did that made me think that. The price on TunerSports was listed as just "On Sale," so I stuck them in my cart to see. I then forgot to remove them and a day or so later stuck them in again. So now my cart had two in and I didn't stop to think.

Again, thanks a lot for the help so far.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 AM
HCF Member

I know it is a little bit late, but i have the progress coil overs and have nothing but good things to say. I went pretty low with mine but they are fully adjustable. They are quite a bit harder than stock but nothing like skunk2 and you will be use to it within a week.

Quick Reply: Suspension suggestion?