Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Tires. UPDATED MORE ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:11 PM
HCF Member
Default Tires. UPDATED MORE ?'s

I need 225/45/R17

I would like something that sticks to the road really well but can also handle snow. Am I asking too much?

What should I get?

Old 10-12-2006, 08:42 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Another tire thread

As for studless winter tires, I've had both Pirelli and Dunlop tires. The Pirelli were only so-so in the snow and equivalent to all-season on dry and wet roads. The Dunlop tires were better than Pirellis in snow and much better than all-season in snow.
As for 225s, I would recommend going with narrower tires if you live in a region that usually has a lot of snow. Maybe 205/55-16.

There are a good number of all-season tires. I would recommend looking at the tread design The more blockey the outer treads are, the more grip you will get on dry roads and the less traction you will have in snow and vice versa.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:00 PM
HCF Member

Maybe I should rephrase. I want a performance summer tire that does okay in snow. I dont drive much in snow and i have awd so im not to worried on that part.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:13 PM
HCF Member

You want a performance summer tire that is good snow, but not all-seasons? That doesn't exist. Summer only tires do not have sipes and tread block patterns good for snow driving. I would recommend getting a second set of tires and/or wheels for winter if you want summer-only performance tires, even with AWD. The rubber compound in summer tires aren't suited for colder weather and so cold weather plus snow gives you less traction than all-seasons.

I had Continental, performance summer-only tires. They were grippy and nice on dry roads. No sipes. Very thick blocks on the treads, great for hard driving. Snow, sleet, and slush made driving very hazardous. Basically, I was driving around Zamboni speeds because I wasn't getting traction. Then, I got Dunlop Gra****s. It's a pain to go to the tire shop twice a year and switch, but it was worth it.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:01 PM
HCF Member

[&:] I dont know what i want. I have all seasons right now and i hate them. THe loose grip like strippers loose clothing. So therefore i want a dedicated summer tire. But yet im cheap and dont wanna buy two sets. Thats the dilemma. Have you heard anything of kuhmo ecsta asx? It stands for all season extreme. The man at discount tire said its one of the best summer performing all season.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

High-performance all season tires for you.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:21 AM
HCF Member

I drove a New England Winter on my Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's.....I will NEVER do that again!!!!! I now have one set of wheels for summer, and one set for winter. However, I figure if I could drive a winter on summer tires then most likely my driving skills are pretty decent. So I would reccomend trying it once if you want a really sick feeling in your stomach going down any kind of hill, or trying to get up any kind of hill, or trying to stop, or trying to go!!! Its um, something you need to try???? Well just don't, it sucks, two sets of wheels is my final answer!!!

Old 10-13-2006, 11:31 AM
HCF Member

I would suggest getting a set of Toyo summer-only high-performance tires and cheapo all-seasons (since they are usually cheaper than winter tires).

Old 10-13-2006, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

Well i bit the bullet and ordered fancy 17 wheels so i will not want those on in winter. So it looks like i am going to have a winter set and a summer set.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:35 PM
HCF Member

So now i need to know a ultra high performance summer with good wet traction also.

225/45/R17

These are what i have been looking at

Falken azenis

Goodyear Eagle F1

Both are a little pricey. I want to spend around 120 a tire.

Also where do you suggest buying tires from?

Quick Reply: Tires. UPDATED MORE ?'s