Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

what effects from bad caster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default what effects from bad caster?

well this guy online emailing me is starting to **** me off saying that since my CASTER is off by just 0.1degree off that its totaled.....

what are the effects of bad caster?

this guy is just realy pissing me off saying my cars totaled but yet ive been driving it and cant feel hardly ANY difference besides more body roll which is a no brainer is from coming from LOWERED to stock height.LOL

i mean come on this guy keeps ******* my listing saying its totaled....
car drivers true and straight no bobbles. hell if i was a douche/shaddy seller i could have just put CAR JUST ALIGNED and the buyer would NEVER KNOW until a few years down the road when they took it for a realignment to find out the caster is 0.1 degree off...

personaly i dont see a reason to fix it..... i know they sell aftermarket CASTER ADJUSTERS, or i could just replace the subframe.... but thats just to much work for me to worry about just 0.1degree outta specs for.......

and im not sure if when i do relower the car in the spring is if will lean the caster into the green or even more into the red.....

heres my alignment sheet at BEFORE any aftermarket adjusters and AFTER realigned...

Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: what effects from bad caster?

i don't have any answers but after i ran into a curb, my driver side caster is negative (0.1 degrees). It could be due to some damaged bushings. my car drives fine too. it only has some vibration issues due to this damage.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya im not sure what is actualy bad on it..... not sure if it maybe the lower control arm thats bent OR the actual subframe...

i thought about just replacing the lower control arm and then checking it BUT that can get kinda expensive sinc eill have to pay for an alignment AGAIN.... 60bucks a pop plus the parts that i replace.

but i dont think thiers any negative effects at least none that i feel...
tho i did check my first milage on my 94 and so far it is 29mpg.. tho i have been driving kinda ruff at times

Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 AM
mxs
HCF Member

I believe it would be your UPPER control arm that messes with your caster. Check them out, take a look at the bushings

Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya the bushings looked perfect.....
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...perarms-02.jpg
the things that bolt onto the upper arms right?
those rubbers looked perfect when i bolted up the camber arms.....

tho the ones i see that adjust caster also adjusts camber as well on the front but i can only see them for 96-00 civics

and thier like 300bucks.... OUCH.....

i may be wrong but isnt CASTER the measure of the wheel thats forwards/ or backwards?
im not a suspension guy realy i just replace parts.LOL

im just not sure HOW the caster plays with anything...... or how to actualy adjust it.... hell if i could drill those upper arm bolts holes alittle to the front or rear and just use some larger washers top and bottom i would just do that....

my toe and camber all the way around are good....
i just dont get caster.... its like never talked about.

i guess i might have to pull the wheels off sometime and see which balljoint is off...
i look it up alittle bit and it says caster is a imaginary line going thru the upper and lower balljoint.... so i guess which ever ball joint is shifted from my good side is the problem one.......
it says something to do about ...o hell quote.
"
Caster angle is the angular displacement from the vertical axis of the suspension of a steered wheel in a car, bicycle or other vehicle, measured in the longitudinal direction. It is the angle between the pivot line (in a car - an imaginary line that runs through the center of the upper ball joint to the center of the lower ball joint) and vertical. Car racers sometimes adjust caster angle to optimize their car's handling characteristics in particular driving situations. The pivot points of the steering are angled such that a line drawn through them intersects the road surface slightly ahead of the contact point of the wheel. The purpose of this is to provide a degree of self-centering for the steering - the wheel casters around so as to trail behind the axis of steering. This makes a car easier to drive and improves its straight line stability (reducing its tendency to wander). Excessive caster angle will make the steering heavier and less responsive, although, in racing, large caster angles are used to improve camber gain in cornering. Caster angles over 10 degrees with radial tires are common. Power steering is usually necessary to overcome the jacking effect from the high caster angle.
"
so sounds to me like caster is just something to kinda help straightening out the wheel if i let go... doesnt sound bad enough to fix if thats all it is....

Old 11-28-2007, 12:21 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

ya the bushings looked perfect.....
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...perarms-02.jpg
the things that bolt onto the upper arms right?
those rubbers looked perfect when i bolted up the camber arms.....
Yeah those are the ones. "They look perfect," you say, but if one of them were twisted/distorted by 0.7 degrees, do you REALLY think you would be able to see it just by looking at it??