Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

whats a good curb removal damage? and painting rims...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default whats a good curb removal damage? and painting rims...

well JUST got home from picking up some rims..
and well they are scraped up alot more than i THOUGH... BUT STILL FOR 75bucks DEAL CANNT BE BEATEN...
2 tires look NEW... and the other two are worn funny and one is to large 215 instead of 205 for some odd reason. and the second worn tire is a mismatch brand name.LOL

so EVENTUALY im gonna pull those tires off and get some kuhmo esca ASX tires cause i had them before and realy liked them... but for now ill just slap them in the rear...

BUT ANYWAYS.. back to the question... whats the best way to paint these up? im not sure WHAT they are made outta and some scraps are all the way to metal... should i use any kinda special primer... or just regular primer then paint?

im gonna start sanding on them tomorow and get them looking at least decent and then paint em up black

AND THESE WILL JUST BE MY CHEAP/ WINTER RIMS..... but until i have enough cash for the BRAND NEW RIMS and tires..... im gonna rock these suckers!

Name:  winterrims-1.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  158.1 KB
Name:  winterrims-2.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  144.0 KB
Name:  winterrims-3.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  119.4 KB
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  103.1 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  105.6 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  103.2 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  105.0 KB

they look just the same as my old chrome ones but these are actualy motegs or how ever ya spell it. LMFAO
just shows ya thiers some killer steals on ebay from time to time!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Default RE: whats a good curb removal damage? and painting rims...

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_141981/tm.htm

Old 06-18-2007, 04:52 PM
mxs
HCF Member

^ yep. I just did another set for my subaru

as far as gouges int he metal, you can use a grinder or something to smooth it out. I never tried using any kind of filler or anything, because I didn't care [8D]

and if you're trying to go cheap, well, have fun buying 17" snow tires!
aren't those the same rims you had before?

Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Snail'n Admin

I used filler, they came out really well...then i decided i didnt want teh rims anymore and sold them,but still, the filler workd well.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
HCF Member

I like those rims man. I actually almost bought white ones when I firstgot my car but I found a really good deal on the Enkei's I have now.

also im a fan of yokohama tires they ride realy smooth. they are a little more expensive, but they are harder rubber so the tread life is a lot longer than Kumho's so I think its worth the extra 20 or so bucks a tire.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well they are the same style rims as i had BUT i didnt want all that chrome on my ride anymore!!!

and well ive been looken for some cheap rims to rock.... cause ALMOST anything is beter than steelies.LMFAO

these are the rims that I REALY WANT TO BUY.....

BUT thats way to much money for me right now so... ill just rock these as my i realy dont care rims and winter rims.LMFAO and na not gonna run any special tires in the snow tho i may throw the steelies on the front BUT thats only if i slide around WAY to much... alittle sliding can be fun

tho i just had a thought.........

WOULD PAINT STRIPER HARM THE TIRES OR RIMS? just an idea of course...
also does it need to be WHEEL PAINT... or can some regular paint work fine?
the tires on 3 of the rims now are toyo proxes fx4..... i cannt find them on any LOCAL tire shop websites... i guess i may have to go check out some localy and ask personaly if they can order them... cause id rather have 4 matching tires if they ride fine and arent to loud.... but i guess ill have to slap them on before i can tell if i like them or not then ill just buy 2 asx kuhmos... thier tread wear says 400 i believe and they did seem to be lasting realy nice for my driving on them...

ALSO can the directional tire just be turned around? cause from what they say both LEFT tires are the trashed looking tires. and id like to run the trashy looken tires in the rear to keep weight off them before i get enough money to replace those tires....
cause it will at least be next month till i get enough cash to swap those tires out...

Old 06-18-2007, 06:26 PM

paint stripper wont damage the wheel and shouldnt damage the tire. tho i'd still tape off the tires to protect them anyways and also the valve stems. tho if u do use paint stripper, i think u'll need to primer. any rattle can should be alright but i'd use wheel paint or hi-temp paint just so it dosnt leave cracks or chips away. ur prolly better off buying some good all season tires than actual snow tires, it'll be cheaper and alot easier to find.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
mxs
HCF Member

yeah I think the wheel paint is more resistant to rock chips, they also make a wheel clear that you could put over some other color.

use primer first if you get down to bare metal.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:31 PM
June 2010 ROTM

If they are directional tires, you can unmount and remount them to your liking, but that gets expensive quick unless you have access to the machines yourself. I have those same wheels, Motegi MR7 except they are 16". There are a bunch of guys that hate on Motegi wheels on HCF and then they say, "get Rotas" because "no one has 'em" even though now everyone has freakin' rotas.

I see those are Toyo Proxies, I grew up with my buddies always getting hard-ons for proxies, they were go tires at one time, I'm not sure if they still are.

Good find!!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well... so far most these curb swipes are coming out great! ive got 2 rims just about done.... but need one more can of wheel paint... so far ive gotten out every harsh scrap besides one thats REALY BAD near the tag... so i just got them the best i can... no big deal to me... they dont have to be perfect!
BUT so far they look great!!!!! i just need to sand the other 2 and paint em up.. and eventualy get 2 replacement tires. i just HOPE that the tire place can switch the GOOD direction tires and move them to the front or rear...

Name:  winterrims-2-1.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  63.3 KB
Name:  winterrims-1-1.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  107.8 KB
Name:  winterrims-4-1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  104.4 KB
Name:  winterrims-5-1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  102.6 KB

looks great so far... just quiting now cause im outta paint and hungry...LOL

Quick Reply: whats a good curb removal damage? and painting rims...