Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Wheel Size Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Default Wheel Size Question

sup guys, i was wondering what rims sould i get 16" or 17" for my Civic Hatch LSi 1997 (UK) if im planing have a 2" drop. Thanks

Old 12-01-2004, 11:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wheel Size Question

I would get 16's. Although I bought 17's myself, it really depends on what you are after. Looks.. definately bigger is better. If you are looking for performance, a smaller wheel will mean less weight and better acceleration. 16's are a good compromise.

Also, are you getting a camber kit? I think with a 2"+ drop, you need a camber kit. Well, 2" is really really marginal. If you go with a 1.5" drop and get smaller tires like 16" rims with 205/40R16 tires... you will end up with a 2" drop overall and will not have as much need for a camber kit. but, your speedo will be showing incorrect speeds. Your speedo will show a faster than actual speed...it will help you stop speeding though (if ur a speeder like me)...

Old 12-01-2004, 02:41 PM

I don't mean to steal this post, but won't the overall diameter of wheel and tire stay the same as stock? If so, then how will it slow down your acceleration? I know, the width will affect it, but wouldn't this also be true for 16 inch rims

Old 12-01-2004, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

a bigger wheel will (usually, i know there is some comparisons that this doesnt apply) weigh a lot more, and the weight that isnt separated from the ground by the springs (unsprung weight) is bad for handling, not to mention that the motor not only has to pull the weight of the wheel with the rest of the car, but it also has to spin them. rotating mass is very detrimental to acceleration. and you have to go with the right size tires to keep the diameter the same.

Old 12-01-2004, 08:26 PM
HCF Member

If the overall diameter of (rim + rubber) is the same, it still may have an effect on performance. It all depends on the weight of the rim + rubber and also WHERE that weight is distributed. So, its not just the rim that adds extra weight. the air inside the tire and the rubber itself can contribute to extra weight as well.

Technically speaking, the difference all has to do with the rotational mass and moment of inertia. This moment of interia is amplified if the majority of the mass is located farther from the center of the wheel. This is why even the rubber and air inside the tire affect the performance. And, this is why getting a smaller wheel is better. This moves the mass closer to the rotation point. It takes more and more energy to alter the direction of a rotational mass that is farther and farther from the rotation point.

That's why going for 16's with a smaller overall diameter than stock will improve performance. Ideally you want to have the exact same overall diameter as stock when buying rims and rubber because that's what the car was designed for. But, you can get away with a SMALLER overall diameter. But, like i said before.. will screw up the speedo reading.

Edit: forgot about the unsprung weight..
Basically the same idea as above except it is not rotating mass you are worried about. The wheels are basically not part of the main body or main mass of your car because it is on springs. That means in cornering when weight transfer is the greatest, the wheels stuck on the end of springs change the wieght transfer of the car.

It is the same idea if you have heavy stuff INSIDE the car and you are going around a tight corner. Everything inside the car moves from one side to the other because it isn't attached to the car. This transfer of weight can affect how the car handles.

Old 12-01-2004, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

it will screw up the speedo, but the effective gear ratio will be shorter, so you will put more power to the ground. IMO, its well worth it.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:21 PM
HCF Member

ya. i agree.. that's why i suggested it! Personally, I use the stock 15's for the track and my 17's are for street. I've got it lowered 1.5" and on my 15's i put 205/50R15. Only about 0.3" smaller than stock. I was gonna get 195/45 but they actually cost a lot and had to be ordered.. weird sizes suck.