Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tires

Koni Yellow Sport shocks & Ground Control coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Default Koni Yellow Sport shocks & Ground Control coilovers

Product: Koni Yellow Sport shocks and Ground Control coilovers

Distributor: www.redshiftmotorsports.com(currently not selling this)

Vehicle: '92-'95 civics

Cost: I payed $850 shipped for the complete set. Most places sell for around that price +shipping.

Installation: Fairly easy. Hardest part is probably taking off the old suspension especially if it's your old stock suspension.

Installation time: Took me about 3 hours by myself with common home garage tools. If you've never done it before it may take 5+ hours because you'll probably run into rear LCA bolt issues.

Review: Both products are top notch and easy to install and adjust.

The ease of adjustablity on the Koni shocks is very convenient. Just pop the hood and trunk and with a couple twists on a ****,you can go from streetable comfort to race stiffness in just a minute. Believe it or not, the Koni shocks also offer adjustable ride height. They have different perch settings built in the shock soyou can raise or lower the car just a bit even if you have lowering springs(you have to remove the shock to adjust this). Most people wouldn't run over ~500in/lb springs with the Koni Sports because they'll prematurely blow. I'm running 450/550 springs on these shocks and with the amount of stress i've put them through so far, they're holding up fine. I know they will blow fairly soon but I'll have them re-built.

The Ground Control coilovers are great. Some distributors allow for you to choose from either GC's standard spring rates(380F/280R) or to customize your spring rates to whichever serves your needs best. The ease of adjustablity is also very convenient. They use a hex wrench to tighten or loosen the adjustable seat. This makes adjusting the height of your suspension easier and faster. Once losened, you just turn the seat to raise or lower. When you find the perfect height, just tighten the hex bolt. It beats most other coilovers where you have to mess with 2 wrenchs to lock and unlock a seat, reaching in the wheel well, usually resulting in busting your knuckles or hurting your hands because their locked so tight. Ground Control uses Eibach springs which is a company with great repuatation. You can rest assure your getting a quality product from both Ground Control and Eibach.

Together, simply amazing. The quality of build on both products is excellent. Even though their different makers, they match eachother perfectly for installation and use. If it's just your daily driver that you want to lower and enjoy a fun ride or your purpose built race car, I would highly recommend this setup. Some may think the price is steep, but I'm very sure that you would be very happy with the results and think it was money well spent.

Only con I can think of is with the Konis. They don't have a brake line bracket built on the shock itself and they recommend hammering off the one from your old shocks and sliding it over the Koni's. This is not necessary, I dont have the brake bracket on mine, but I find it kind of odd they would'nt putting that on their product. Not a big deal though.

Personal recommendation: Get the Ground Control extended top hats. They will allow for more shaft movement making for better ride quality and allowing you to go slightly lower without riding the bump stops. From Ground Control, they sell for about $240+shipping.

I'm sure there will be questions about these products, feel free to ask.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Koni Yellow Sport shocks & Ground Control coilovers

you've got some qualty reviews. i aways check here before i buy something.