Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tires

Koni yellows and Ground Control coilovers, soon also skunk2 camber kits

Old 05-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default Koni yellows and Ground Control coilovers, soon also skunk2 camber kits

Koni yellow struts
Ground Control coilovers w/ standard rate springs.
Skunk2 front camber/ tuner series
Skunk2 rear camber kit.

so far had these instaled for a few days and so far I LOVE THEM!!!!!
very easy to instal. hardest part for the typical guy would be modifying your stock dust boots, which when i look back at it i dont think you realy need to use them since you have to cut them down so much
only other problem you might have is the typical seized bushing/bolt on the rear. ive already delt with seized bushings on my 99civic and had my suspension off twice.

the way i swap out my suspension IMO is easier than most do THE REAR that is.
to remove mine i remove the LCA strut bolt, and then remove the upper camber arm or upper control arm what ever you want to call it. then to remove the strut simply use your foot to push down the spindle and with your one hand pull the strut out from the top. as soon as it clears the strut pocket it will come right out. i found this out from my old bushing that was seized which really still is seized im sure.LOL

another thing to consider is if you have larger wheels. they could rub the inner fender lip mainly in the rear unless you want negative camber! at least be sure to have your stock wheels to unsure you wont have any rubbing issues.
just thought it was worth mentioning.

instal very easy! if you got the right parts for your strut, coilover setup! i thought i would cheap out and buy used ground controls which turned out more hassle with no $$ saved! so i would definatly advice buying the combo at the same time and ensure they will fit! these koni struts use special sleeves for the ground controls that are needed! i found that out the hard way and ended up paying as much as i would have if i bought brand new...

best part is to tweek the suspension is very easy and very fast! simply jack that wheel off the ground so the spring is loose in the front you can access the adjuster from above the wheel, and on the rear simply go in from behind the wheel. just loosen the allen screw and turn the sleeve/threaded perch the way you want to go and tighten down the little allen screw. and LIKE ALWAYS if you tweek the suspension this also means you need to get a alignment done ASAP! unless you like to buy new tires that is.
alignment is alot cheaper than new tires!

the ride is very nice for being lowered and rolling on 17s!
i would compare them to be only slightly ruffer than my old Tein Stech springs, but the adjustment level takes these ground controls to whole new level!
the struts are externaly adjustable from soft to firm. for daily driving i like it in the softest setting, and if your on a smooth race track or like it ruff the firm setting works great! but for my driving i keep it on softest setting.

i bought my Ground Control coilovers localy but had to order new parts from them to fit my konis from GroundControl themselves http://www.ground-control-store.com/index.php
and to save money i bought my Koni yellows off ebay. SOHi Performance great deal $520.80 shiped. they had them instock and shiped out the next day. very happy with my transaction!

my Skunk2 camber kits also came from ebay. still waiting on them but they should work great.

able to drop super low. i can go even lower in the front BUT tires during a turn would crush my fender!
Name:  KONIGC-34.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  100.4 KB

only thing i will probably change is do something to lift the car up higher for winter use. these is a picture with the sleeves at there highest settings on the sleeves at least with full threads.

Name:  KONIGC-47.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  104.1 KB

2 view larger pictures.... and i do mean LARGER CLICK HERE

so if your looking for a smooth ride that is very adjustable its a great combo!!!!!
fully tweek your rides suspension!
i heard this combo was highly recomended and now that i have it i would also highly recomend it to others!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Koni yellows and Ground Control coilovers, soon also skunk2 camber kits

[align=left]Ok tonight i FINALLY got the last of my camber kits and installed them.
[/align]
and AGAIN another TYPICAL HONDA SEIZED BOLT/BUSHING on the rear luckely i just had to cut one out, and the other just VERILY busted loose after cranking up the PSI REALLY HIGH! got stuck for a min and then came loose..... HUGE SUPRISE. i thought for sure it was would have to be cut and welded to remove the stock piece! lucked out on half the job on the rear at least.

took 4 hours to install and setup the car to be even. now i just have to go to alignment shop and get the alignment setup. and a good thing i found a alignment shop with a in ground rack. so i have a appointment setup for tomorrow after work.

Name:  99camberkitinstalled-08.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  164.2 KB

Name:  99camberkitinstalled-09.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  148.6 KB

STOCK VS Skunk2
Name:  99camberkitinstalled-14.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  99camberkitinstalled-15.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  99camberkitinstalled-16.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  132.9 KB

STOCK rear camber. sorry forgot installed picture. but it does look alot better. you can kinda see it thru the rim.
Name:  99camberkitinstalled-18.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  118.3 KB
Name:  99camberkitinstalled-19.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  105.3 KB

and this should be my final height FOR NOW.... sorry kinda dark pictures i just got done and its dark out.
Name:  99camberkitinstalled-24.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  99camberkitinstalled-22.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  71.2 KB

i can go lower in the rear and the front BUT if i go any lower i think im siting the struts on the bump stops. i think i have the rear camber set pretty good, at least as good as its going to get and still clear.
BE WARNED when lowering your car keep hands clear from between the fender lip and tire. WOOPS i almost smashed my finger... LUCKELY i had my other hand on the jack and lowering the car slowly. could have been very bad very quick! KEEP YOUR HANDS/FINGERS CLEAR

so im definatly going to order some of Ground Controls TOP HATS/ UPPER MOUNTS. that way i have more strut travel for a better ride and maybe also swap out the front springs with the right size springs.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:08 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Koni yellows and Ground Control coilovers, soon also skunk2 camber kits

glad to see you got them in! looks sick!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok got alignment done. had it done at more of a old school alignment shop since they had a inground rack to do the car on. no computer print out of the specs but drives true and looks good. and only 59bucks for alignment. beats paying 79bucks and having to build a freaken huge ramp like i would have had to do at midas. (ill use midas during the winter HIGH ride height only if i get a coupon ) and in the spring take it back to this guy with the inground rack.

the front i have adjusted alittle high BUT i dont want to risk destroying my fenders when turning! better safe than sorry....

the rear camber is decent, just slightly leaning in.... BUT cannt be moved anymore without rubbing. so i need to buy a fender roller tool again and roll my fender lips alittle more to be able to rock within OEM SPECS...
still decent for now. but again car was kinda dirty. i still have yet to really wash and wax it.

Name:  f1e5d2ca.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  109.8 KB
Name:  4348113e.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  190.9 KB
Name:  DSC00198-1.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  118.3 KB
Name:  DSC00199.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  118.5 KB

thats VERY VERY CLOSE to the rear fender lip.LOL but it doesnt rub... i just want to roll the fender lips alittle more..... and yes there is paint damage around that area. area had beep repaired before i got the car and when i rolled the fender lips... SUPRISE bondo chunks. [:@]

Name:  6b056a47.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  DSC00208.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  109.2 KB

Name:  DSC00206.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  115.6 KB

Name:  DSC00195-1.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  147.3 KB

i still want to get Ground Controls upper mounts for the struts and the correct springs for the front to give me more lift and a more comfortable ride. maybe next week ill make that purchase. i was to sick afew weeks ago and missed about 3 days of work so cash kinda got pinched for a week or two. but im back on track now cash wise.

I LOVE THE LOOKS I GET NOW [8D] sitting back down low where she looks good and tucken some tire in the rear.
and yes i can go ALOT lower in the rear. i can go at least 3inches lower BUT i might be touching the ground.LOL

Old 05-31-2008, 10:13 PM
HCF Member

So insanely sick setup

Old 06-01-2008, 09:21 AM
HCF Member

damn lookin good

props

Old 06-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

thanks..... i still have to try out GCs upper strut mounts. still have to order them. hopefully they will give my struts alittle more travel. ill also order new bump stops just for the hell of it..... since ill have them apart.
ill order the new top hats and bump stops and MAYBE the correct springs for the front next monday but i wont instal them just yet. just the top hats and bump stops so i dont have to get a new alignment yet. plus i dont think i really need the springs yet.

so far driving it i havent had any problems as its setup right now. just hoping for alittle smoother ride. extending the top hats/strut travel should give me more travel and be able to run the struts at the softest setting.

BUT SO FAR..... i love being able to take turns fast again and now its hardly any body roll..... i havent really pushed it to hard yet...... trying to take it little by little to ensure i dont rub any. so far its all good!