HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Transmission & Differential (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/transmission-differential-39/)
-   -   1994 Civic Si Coupe Auto Trans Issue HLP PLZ!! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/transmission-differential-39/1994-civic-si-coupe-auto-trans-issue-hlp-plz-78788/)

accordian 10-02-2009 11:10 AM

1994 Civic Si Coupe Auto Trans Issue HLP PLZ!!

Hey whats up this is my first post...I have a 1994 Honda Civic Si that I just bought, It has an auto matic tranny in it..and it wont go in to any gear period..park works just fine....full of fluid....wont go into any gear and the rmp doesnt even jump up or down a littl when shifting? I dont know what the problem is but the car wont go anywhere....
Thanks

Accordian

croninc 10-02-2009 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by accordian (Post 675613)
Hey whats up this is my first post...I have a 1994 Honda Civic Si that I just bought, It has an auto matic tranny in it..and it wont go in to any gear period..park works just fine....full of fluid....wont go into any gear and the rmp doesnt even jump up or down a littl when shifting? I dont know what the problem is but the car wont go anywhere....
Thanks

Accordian

So did you buy the car already knowing it had this problem? or did you just walk outside one day and it did this? I dont kno if your car has this but most do especially if its an automatic, but there should be a key hole by the shifter and if you put your key in there it should release the shifter, sometimes it gets locked up. It could possibly be this simple or a much more complicated problem.

94civichatchback 10-02-2009 07:06 PM

they get locked up when the brake pads are really worn down, ive had this problem with my sedan when it was auto.

i suggest looking under the car at the cv axles where they go into the trans make sure they are all the way in there shouldn't be any gap inbetween them.

accordian 10-02-2009 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by croninc (Post 675653)
So did you buy the car already knowing it had this problem? or did you just walk outside one day and it did this? I dont kno if your car has this but most do especially if its an automatic, but there should be a key hole by the shifter and if you put your key in there it should release the shifter, sometimes it gets locked up. It could possibly be this simple or a much more complicated problem.

I bought the car already knowing this....since posting this add I was able to get the car into reverse and when I put it in drive it just sliped a whole lot then quit....so Im guess the tranny is F%^%D then? I was able to price out one for about 200CDN just 20 miles from where I live, is that I good deal, guy said it has 104,000kms on it and the car he took it out of is still on the mans property? I was also able to sourse a Civic Service Manual making the job that much easier....Attachment 16205

Or if someone has a wicked idea that I have not thought of please feel free to elaborate!:)

accordian 10-02-2009 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback (Post 675687)
they get locked up when the brake pads are really worn down, ive had this problem with my sedan when it was auto.

i suggest looking under the car at the cv axles where they go into the trans make sure they are all the way in there shouldn't be any gap inbetween them.

So your telling me that my auto transmission, will not go into any gear because my axels are not all the way in? Or because my pads are warn?
Are you serious?:confused:

94civichatchback 10-02-2009 07:46 PM

if the pads are worn then yes the shifter locks, it has a spot next to the shifter where you can insert any key and push down to shift gears, now if you put it into gear and it doesnt move then the axles might not be in all the way.

accordian 10-02-2009 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback (Post 675696)
if the pads are worn then yes the shifter locks, it has a spot next to the shifter where you can insert any key and push down to shift gears, now if you put it into gear and it doesnt move then the axles might not be in all the way.

and how would i correct this problem of the axels not being in all the way? would there not be a reason to why they wouldnt be in all the way?

Thanks

Accordian

94civichatchback 10-02-2009 08:37 PM

you just have to get under and look if there is a gap between the axle and the trans then just wiggle and push them in all the way, if they werent pushed all they way in and the pin snaps in then eventually they come out a little.