Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

AWD possiblities?

Old 04-28-2006, 02:03 AM
HCF Member
Default AWD possiblities?

Well i have a 00 civic with the jdm b16A2 right now....but i have heard that the crv's 4x4 b20 trans will bolt up to my motor......now i would have to do some modification with the rearend and i would have to cut a tunnel in the floor board for the drive shaft....but i am wondering if this has been done and if there is a site around showing it.....also if there is anther trans possiblity? cause the only thing i am thinking of with the b20 trans is i dont know if i can get it in a manual and also i dont know how good it would be as an all time all wheel drive.....but i need something cause i am in the process of looking for either a B20 or B18 block to start building with at least 18 psi and a 75 shot of nos.......i recently took my car to the track with my set up now and my 17s with 40 series tires would not hook up for anything.....lots of wheel hop.....the best run i could get outta it was a 15.7 at 90mph in the quarter. if i could hook up i should be low 15s mabye high 14s if i took out my system.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:39 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: AWD possiblities?

seems to me itb would be less work to bolt your body onto the 4x frame...

Old 04-28-2006, 04:25 AM
HCF Member

I am going to be blunt but dont take it the wrong way, the idea in itself is a good one but in all reality it is a stupid conversion. By the time you invested in this you could go and buy a damn good AWD car like a WRX, 1st or 2nd gen Eclipse GSX, or something along those lines and not have the headachs of doing this stuff. Also as far as performance a Civic simply is not setup to be AWD or RWD. The handling would suffer very badly unless very extensive mods were done as far as weight transfer/ballast and such. It on a whole just dont make sense to do it.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:30 AM
HCF Member

and the drivetrain gear from a CRV is made to handle 130-150 hp, so a built b20 with 18 psi would break everything, and stronger parts will be all custom, meaning very expensive.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:36 AM

honda tuning did an article on an intgra converted to awd using a crv drivetrain. the conversion was not superhard as everyone believes (but not for the faint of heart), and it did handle well, because they track tested it afterwards.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:35 AM
HCF Member

not worried about the actual work or the money.....i want it to be origanal. and as far as the ability to handle the hp the drive shaft and rear end would have to be shortened anyway.....and i have a hook up on that... i can get both done and will be able to handle 700hp+ and as far as being a big headache i dont think it will be that bad....cut a tunnel for the car and weld it in...thats easy....mounting and shimming the rear end will be a bit of a pain in the *** but not too bad.....and as far as handling with the extra weight of the b20 up front and the drive train in the back it will about equal out....i will be rolling the fenders back in the next week or so...so when i do do the conversion i can mount a 16/235/55 on the car. the car will stay about the same height off the ground and a wide body kit has been ordered to replace the one i have on it now.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

sounds like you got quite the project on your hands, let us know how it turns out... I have always wondered what it would be like to have an awd civic or like an awd eg hatch or ek hatch.... give some evo's and sti's a run for there money.... tell us how it turns out and maybe some pics to

Old 05-01-2006, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

if your wanting to be origional dont do it with the crv or civic drivetrain its been done a few times now. try using a drivetrain that will actually take abuse like the dsm, evo, wrx drivetrains.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:42 PM

you will need to do a lot more than just bolt in a rearend my friend, www.brailleauto.com they are the ones that did it first, and it is run in full rear wheel drive now

Old 05-02-2006, 01:34 PM
HCF Member

not awd but you get the point

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AWD possiblities?