Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

I know this is a HONDA forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 PM
HCF Member
Default I know this is a HONDA forum

And i have a civic...!

but this is actually a chevy question.

My dad might give me a Chevy Lumina z34 (dohc v6![8D])

you know 210 HP blahahalhala

anyways..its automatic and the transmission has issues thats why he doesnt drive it.

the car will shift fine...it will go into fourthgear/OD and then it will randomly down shift back down to 3rd. This is a problem if you are on the freeway and it shifts down to 3rd at like 70mph...

so i have no idea what it could be...transmission issues? sensor isssues?

i read somewhere that it might be the neutral sensor switch or somthing..

just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what it might be

Old 02-20-2008, 02:09 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: I know this is a HONDA forum

Jack up the car and check the shift linkage, probably loose and cause it to shift by it self.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Hailchristian

anyways..its automatic and the transmission has issues thats why he doesnt drive it.

?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Cat Fuсker

automatic have a linkage too you know:-D Most likely a cable though...

Old 02-20-2008, 04:49 PM
HCF Member

I think he means the shift select cable. That can come loose under your shifter. I'm actually going to look into servicing that on my Civic soon, since my tires spin when the car's in neutral and jacked up.

On my civic, the throttle cable splits in 2 and one end connects to the transmission, the other to the carb. If your car has a similar setup (with one cable running to a throttle body instead), then that could be the issue too. Maybe that could've come loose too, so I'd check that.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

i didnt know they had linkage.....i guess ive never really looked at one...lol.....

well..ill look into it....its gunna be my new dd till the efs fixed

Old 02-20-2008, 08:19 PM
HCF Member

my friend had a similar car that had some shorted out wires that caused it to downshift whenever they shorted out. Might want to double check, he accidently drilled into a harness running a power wire.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 PM
HCF Member

that might be it...the car shorts out from time to time in the radio and door locks..ill trace back the wiring and see what i find

Old 02-20-2008, 09:10 PM
HCF Member

The 4T60-E transmission in your car means this:

4=Number of Gears
T=Transverse mounted transmission
60=torque holding capacity (probably 260 or 280 torque)
E=Electronically controlled

It does away with the TV cable (throttle valve) which was used to adjust the line pressures for holding pressure during gear shifts and under load. Now it is electronically controlled in relation to sensor data. It has an est. 0-60mph of 7.5 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of 15.8@89.1mph. those are pretty good numbers if you ask me.

anyway on to your question, IT sounds like your 3-4 gear servo is giving out. It might have bad seals on it too, but they should be inexpensive. The servo on my trucks 4L60-E was easy to get too, but it was longitudinally mounted and everything was well laid out. But i know of these 2 things can cause the issue. While your at it get the 1-2 servo and seals checked while your at it.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:09 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: koots

The 4T60-E transmission in your car means this:

4=Number of Gears
T=Transverse mounted transmission
60=torque holding capacity (probably 260 or 280 torque)
E=Electronically controlled

It does away with the TV cable (throttle valve) which was used to adjust the line pressures for holding pressure during gear shifts and under load. Now it is electronically controlled in relation to sensor data. It has an est. 0-60mph of 7.5 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of 15.8@89.1mph. those are pretty good numbers if you ask me.

anyway on to your question, IT sounds like your 3-4 gear servo is giving out. It might have bad seals on it too, but they should be inexpensive. The servo on my trucks 4L60-E was easy to get too, but it was longitudinally mounted and everything was well laid out. But i know of these 2 things can cause the issue. While your at it get the 1-2 servo and seals checked while your at it.
you are the man...

this at least gives me a dirrection to look in between the electronics and the servos. My dads eyes lit up when i told him some one talked about a short being the problem and then told me that he has had smoke come up from the dash so that is a big posibility. The servo thing sounds real close though...ill check it out, purchase a haynes, and get to work

ill keep you all updated and might as well throw some pics up this weekend too..

my birthday is saturday...turning 18 and im getting a cannon slr...and this car lol...im gunna see if i can get it fixed and either sell or trade for a eg hatch.

Quick Reply: I know this is a HONDA forum