Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Howling noise on RPM reduction - transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Default Howling noise on RPM reduction - transmission?

I'm having some problems with the manual tranny in my '86 Civic (rattling sound in neutral, grinding into 3rd, etc) but I just started noticing a new noise that I wonder may be transmission related? When in neutral (and not I notice it when decelerating in 1st gear) if I rev the engine, the car makes a howling/hooting noise as the RPM come down. I think it's coming from the front of the car. I noticed it yesterday when driving in 1st gear in a parking lot too - as I slowed in 1st and RPM came down, the hooting was faint but there. It doesn't seem to matter if clutch is engaged or not. Any ideas? It runs fine other than that and it's tranny problems that I'm putting off until I can afford a rebuild.
Elissa

Old 10-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Default RE: Howling noise on RPM reduction - transmission?

Y wait to afford to rebuild get an ew-5 speed manual from FOREIGN ENGINES INC. 1-800-333- er i forgot the rest of the 1-800 # there local # in Washington state is (425)774-4546.
they have real good deals on the low milage import engines and trannys. They also stand by there warranty. they also got a place in Coure D' Alane, ID. there shipping is free if you live in the Pudget Sound Area, and in Eastern Washington and Idaho as a matter of fact Oregon is free shipping too or is it 50 bucks i cant remember. Then you can end up rebuilding the one you got while still drivin' Ur civic around......

Old 10-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Default RE: Howling noise on RPM reduction - transmission?

flagcivic, thanks for the reply and referral - i may use that. But since this is my 3rd car, I don't care if it's out of commission for a while while it's being worked on. It's probably going to get a good rebuilt tranny with a warranty from a shop since I can't do the drop and install myself (no hoist). So I'd like to do the tranny labor just once.

Do you think the howling is another bad bearing in the tranny someplace? I'm assuming the rattling in neutral (when foot off clutch) is main shaft bearing. What could the howling when rev'ing down be?

And am I causing damage to other parts of my drivetrain by driving a car whose tranny has bad bearings? I'm already looking at replacing clutch, resurfacing flywheel and replacing axle joint. Could I be causing engine damage or damage to wheel bearings or anything by continuing to drive it?

Thanks!
Elissa