Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

odd question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Super Cereal Admin
Default odd question

Well, I'm hopefully doing a b18 swap and 5-speed conversion in the next month or two, and I have a quick question:

will I have any problems if I use a manual pedal set with my automatic transmission until I get the swap in?

I'd like to get all the little time-consuming things out of the way, and from what I've read, the pedal swap is an absolute PITA to do, so I'd like to just get it out of the way asap. Now, I know installing the clutch pedal is pointless, but I'd like to have it in there just so I don't have to do it later. But would the manual gas/brake pedals work in an auto (assuming I got a manual throttle cable)?

Old 03-02-2008, 03:10 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: odd question

I would think if the brake pedal can still be hooked up to the master, it would work. On chevys, the only problem was going from manual brakes to power brakes........you couldnt interchange the pedals due to different linkage styles unless you modified them....Try it and see.........your going to swap it anyway so what the heck...unless its your only car. What I wanna know is why is the pedal assy. such a pita, because Im swapping my autotragic tranny for a 5 speed in my 95 civic lx d15b7.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Yeah, I'm thinking it should work, but I wanted confirmation... it's basically my only method of transportation unless it gets nice enough to ride my bike. I know the one end of the throttle cable is different (it's a different shape for manual and auto), but I think that's the only difference between the two assemblies.

And it's not really hard from what I've seen.... it's just that the bolts that hold the assemblies on are so effin hard to get to.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:38 PM
HCF Member

I guess I just havnt seen the pedal assy installed up close yet........I just spent the day aquiring the mounts at the yard. The guy said they would be on the transmission when I bought it.....they werent so I went back today to get them and he said 35 a piece.....I said horse pucky you said they woudl be on the tranny.........I got them for nothing. It pays to listen to people when theky tell you your getting this or that with the product you are purchasing. As for the hard to get to bolts and stuff, I have small hands and are very handy at cramming my hands into tight spots......they always called on me to reach dropped bolts in small locations at the chevy dealership.