HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Transmission & Differential (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/transmission-differential-39/)
-   -   Upgraded Auto trani. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/transmission-differential-39/upgraded-auto-trani-71023/)

madjoker14 10-27-2008 06:05 PM

Upgraded Auto trani.

sup everyone, at the moment i have a 99 stock d16 /trani and im looking to soon (possible by Jan/09) to drop a new engine and trani (thinking LS) but my question is,

I want to keep a auto trani but everyone says "nah man get a manual its better" but i like to stand out and show ppl that you can anything, so basically i want a auto trani but i still want my car to be able to do high 12's.

Iv heard of some trani, its a after-market 5 speed,sports shifting trani (i think) basically it shifts at 1,500 rpm's. (as i am told)

If anyone has any info maybe links,posts, or if you would like me to provide more info just post up.

Marty 10-27-2008 06:55 PM

honda auto tranny's are junk, end of story

madjoker14 10-27-2008 07:23 PM

Any other trani besides honda?, what about them after market trani's (auto trani's in general)

trustdestruction 10-27-2008 07:23 PM

Bad idea
Just go with a manual
If you're going through any trouble of swapping an engine/tranny, you might as well swap to manual.

And shifting sooner is the opposite of what you want.

madjoker14 10-27-2008 07:33 PM

okay gotcha on the shifting sooner part but i still want a auto trani, basically i know its a lot easier and less hassle but i would still be willing to give the auto trani a shot.

Theres a girl thats a prez of ECR (some auto team in boston) and basically she has 93 civic ex swap trani/motor and she's pushing 9 pounds of boost, and does a good high 12 on the track...

When she did mention the auto trani to me she said it was after market and she blows most manual civic, simple alot of ppl put down auto trani's and i want to stand out by having a auto trani with a nice engine swap : )

baker 10-28-2008 05:27 AM

actually, it is a lot easier and a lot less of a hassle to have a manual trans.

Low 4 Door 10-28-2008 11:34 AM

hey man im with you on that concept. seems like nobody wants to listen to your ideas. i wouldnt want to go through puting in the clutch pedals and all that stuff. if you find anything out about the auto tranni let me know.

trustdestruction 10-28-2008 01:33 PM

we're not trying to convince you to do a manual tranny because we want you to have to push in a clutch pedal, it's because of these reasons:
1. auto transmissions are more expensive.
2. auto transmissions have more parts, and are more of a pain to fix when needed
3. auto tranny's lose a lot more power through the drivetrain than manual transmissions. if you want power, a manual transmission is better than an auto anyday
4. plainly said, you just have more control over a manual transmission. it shifts when you want to, not when it feels like it.

We're not telling you what to do, we're just recommending against it. If you got a lot of money to spend and don't want to do it the simple way and don't mind the greater loss of power in the conversion of BHP to WHP with auto than the manual, then by all means get the performance auto tranny. Look around though, there's a reason everyone gets manual transmissions when they're concerned about power: it's the better of the two.

xsteinbachx 10-28-2008 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction (Post 600271)
we're not trying to convince you to do a manual tranny because we want you to have to push in a clutch pedal, it's because of these reasons:
1. auto transmissions are more expensive.
2. auto transmissions have more parts, and are more of a pain to fix when needed
3. auto tranny's lose a lot more power through the drivetrain than manual transmissions. if you want power, a manual transmission is better than an auto anyday
4. plainly said, you just have more control over a manual transmission. it shifts when you want to, not when it feels like it.

We're not telling you what to do, we're just recommending against it. If you got a lot of money to spend and don't want to do it the simple way and don't mind the greater loss of power in the conversion of BHP to WHP with auto than the manual, then by all means get the performance auto tranny. Look around though, there's a reason everyone gets manual transmissions when they're concerned about power: it's the better of the two.

AMEN! I was just about to write this up, but you beat me 2 it trust. You will honestly have alot more satisfaction shifting gears then ever pressing a gas pedal end of story.

Question madjoker14 have you ever driven a standard vehicle?

madjoker14 10-28-2008 03:23 PM

Im not gona lie to you guys and i know i'll provably get made fun of but i learned it wail i was in school (about 2 years ago) and havnt done it since, doesnt mean i cant re-learn it.

But i want to use a auto trani just to stand out aside from manual users and show them that even a auto user shouldn't be takin lightly, kinda like judging a book by its cover.