Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2017 Honda CRV popping sound in roof

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 02:46 PM
Unhappy 2017 Honda CRV popping sound in roof

Kept hearing a popping sound when my front wheels or rear wheels were not level with each other. For example, when I am backing out of my driveway and I turn the steering wheel to the left and my right front wheel goes down in the very shallow dip drainage area where the end of the driveway meets the street surface, I will hear one popping sound . Then , as I continue to back out and my left front wheel goes down , I will hear a second popping sound . At first the dealership and I thought the sound was coming from the rear of the car. They tightened the sway bar and several other items but these "solutions" did not fix the problem.

Then we realized that the popping sound was actually coming from the left side of my roof of my 2017 Honda CRV. I have a sunroof and there is a small area of roof located at the side of the left back corner of the sun roof that is about 5 inches wide and 5 inches long and is very pliable. This small area is not firm like the rest of the roof . This roof area will bend down and up with very light finger pressure. However, there is not a dent or scratches or any other visible damage The dealership was of the opinion that something must have fallen on my car roof without me knowing about it. But I do not think anything has ever fallen on my roof since my car at work was always parked in a covered parking garage and at home in our garage. Simply have never had any concern that anything has ever fallen on the roof of my car.

Nevertheless , I have a soft spot in my car roof that bends and flexes and causes a popping sound which is very loud when heard in the interior of the car . Very annoying. Dealership does not have a fix and said take it to a body shop. Honda Customer service said the same thing. Has anyone else experienced this problem?