DEI Radiator Relief Additive - "Results are in!"

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Default DEI Radiator Relief Additive - "Results are in!"

Alright a few weeks, maybe a month ago I posted a thread wondering if anyone had tried DEI's new Radiator Relief Performance Additive.

A few of the regulars took issue with the thread claiming it was spamming or advertising which obviously wasn’t the case as DEI was good enough to sponsor out a CryO2 System for my Civic last year, hence CryO2man. Mind you that was last year, so I posted a quick thread as I'm subscribed to their monthly newsletter mentioning the new product- curious to see if anyone got their hands on it(I mean, that is what a forum is for, right?).

Regardless, I bought a bottle of Radiator Relief and did some simple testing to see if this stuff was worth a damn (or $9.99) which claims to drop water temps up to 30°F.

DEI Radiator Relief - TEST ONE
Using what I know about the scientific method I ran the baseline or control test without the additive. I recorded temperatures at intervals (using a Cyberdyne Water Temp Gauge) during idle and then took readings going around the block in my development (lets call them laps) at a consistent mph and recorded 10 readings per lap. Upon the last lap a dug in hard on a new residential street (no houses yet!) and got the car up to about 70mph and then did the same right back out to the stop sign where I took another temp reading. I then came back home and let the car idle for the same time during the initial idle readings and recorded the temps.

DEI Radiator Relief - VERDICT
It worked! Now the temps in Columbus were same (85°F) on back to back days as were the humidity levels.

The differences in temps varied - anywhere from 16°F - 28°F but upon average came to 25.4°F!

What does that mean for us ~ simple the efficiency of the vehicles cooling system increased as it kept coolant mixtures lowered which in turn increased coolant system efficiency. Increasing coolant efficiency means cooler engine temps during normal and extended use (race and drag strips) all for under $10 bucks. I'm not sure how Water Wetter or Purple Ice stack up but the DEI ( Design Engineering, Inc. ) brand gets my seal of approval!

Say what you want to say about me, but being a new Civic owner and new to the forum I figured I'd take it upon myself to do this testing (in lieu of hanging out with the girlfriend!) and that is...what it is.

I'll do similar testing on future products as I get them installed.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Default RE: DEI Radiator Relief Additive - "Results are in!"

thats cool that it works... i wonder if it keeps your vehicle cooler in the winter, when it should be warm. and i wonder if it affects performance of your engine when its designed to run around 210 and the pcm doesnt think its warmed up yet, so it keeps it in open loop mode.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Default RE: DEI Radiator Relief Additive - "Results are in!"

Actually, I asked myself the same question - I guess the principle behind all these cooling additives is to promote water lubricity. Though water is obviously a liquid there are other chemical elements you can use to "soften" water and make it move faster again other H2O molecules.

The only real difference between the DEI Radiator Relief and Water Wetter or Purple Ice that I noticed at the store was when I shook the bottles the DEI Radiator Relief quickly eliminated the foam at the top of the bottle while the others stayed foamed up to the top until I left the store. I would think that foam could develop in the core and limit thermal heat transfer so I opted to buy DEI 's brand.