Edelbrock Performer X Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Default Edelbrock Performer X Turbo Kit

I would like to start off by saying that this is not a walkthrough. It's just a review, meant to give you a general idea of the quality of the kit and some of the miscellaneous stuff that you'll need if you are attempting this yourself. I'm also sorry about the lack of pics, but sadly...no digicam.

- Product: Edelbrock Performer X Turbo Kit (ball-bearing Garrett GT28, internally wastegated @ 7 psi)

- Purchased from: NOPI

- Vehicle: 1998 Honda Civic EX 5-speed coupe (kit is designed for 1998-00 Civic EX, auto or manual*)

- Cost: $3522.66 shipped

*96-98 Honda Civics will need an Edelbrock Voltage Clamp, PN: 15022, to keep the map sensor from seeing boost. This part will run you about $100 (plus or minus). Alternatively, you can get a "missing link", which does pretty much the same thing, for about 1/2 the price of the Edelbrock piece.

- Install Difficulty (1-10): 9. Of course this is dependent upon your level of expertise, but do not, and I stress *DO NOT*, attempt this yourself unless you are comfortable working on your car. This was my first time doing something of this magnitude, but I love to work on my car, and had A LOT of fun! To give you an idea of my level of automotive mechanical experience, my largest project prior to this was installing my old Skunk2 intake manifold.

- Install Time: 10 1/2 hours. I decided that I couldn't call myself a man unless I did this alone I spread the installation over three days. You can save some time if you have another person to help you (mainly to get the turbocharger/exhaust manifold assembly in....man, that was a B*TCH!!)

- Miscellaneous: There are a few tools not common to everyone's tool box that you'll need. A heat gun (or a Zippo) for the heat shrink on the butt splice connectors, an allen key set, a new oil pan gasket, and a new exhaust manifold gasket. In the case of the gaskets, if your old stuff is in good condition, they can be reused; however, just go ahead and buy some new pieces, because it is better to be safe than sorry! You will also need to do some minor trimming of the back of the front bumper lower grill area in order to clear the intercooler, and the same to the fender liners to clear the intercooler piping. These two tasks were accomplished with a Dremel, but any tool that will cut through plastic will suffice...the Dremel just makes things easier. Also. if you can, mount the compressor outlet pipe to the turbo prior to installation. I had a hell of a time getting tightening that third bolt. And of course, you'll need an oil filter and oil (due to having to drop the pan) and some coolant.

- General Notes: Researching this kit, it becomes obvious pretty quickly that it is *THE* most complete kit on the market. All fittings, O-rings, gaskets, etc. are included. The turbo and exhaust manifold come pre-assembled, and all lines running from the turbo are already attached. It also comes with an Edelbrock Performer X intake manifold (and a new gasket), with the secondary fuel rail and injectors pre-installed. The only drilling that the kit requires is for the oil pan, in order to attach the fitting for the oil return line, and to your A Pillar in order to mount the gauge pod. It also comes with a 60mm Autometer boost/vacuum gauge (with a nifty Edelbrock label on the face), and the aforementioned pod. Fuel management is handled through a piggyback, called the "Turbo Link 1500". The intercooler is a direct fit, and requires no drilling to mount, just some minor trimming of your bumper. The only negative to the kit is that you'll need to get either that voltage clamp or missing link, which doesn't affect the quality of the kit IMO. Overall, I *HIGHLY* recommend this kit, especially to someone like myself who has no prior experience with turbos.

Product Rating (1-10): 10!

Old 11-06-2006, 06:08 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Edelbrock Performer X Turbo Kit

You really gotta put up some pix.... steal a camera if you have to...

Old 12-11-2006, 01:53 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Edelbrock Performer X Turbo Kit

where is moody????
i miss him!