General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

94 Civic EX (D16Z6, automatic trans) mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Default 94 Civic EX (D16Z6, automatic trans) mpg

About what can I expect to get out of that engine in terms of gas mileage? Currently I'm averaging around 26-28 (course, that's guessing since my odometer doesn't work), somewhere in there...I have a cold air intake and headers. I just feel that's somewhat lackluster for a civic. I recently replaced the spark plugs, the plugs that were in there were way past due, the electrodes had worn away to the point that gap was something large. It does idle a little rougher than what I'd like at times, was horrid till I had the rotors cut. Could this be in the plug wires/rotor/cap? About to replace the fuel filter and maybe get a new filter on the CAI cause the one in there now is rather busted up...

Old 01-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

So speedo, odometer, and tripmeter don't work? Need to fix so you can determine actual mileage. Is the CEL ON?

Yep, also replace the plug wires, cap, and rotor.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:17 AM

You can't assess gas mileage without properly checking it. I don't understand how when you know you are just guessing the mileage that you are so sure there is actually a problem.

The gas needle isn't accurate, and you can't go by that when determining gas mileage. You have to set the trip count starting at a full tank, drive, fill up and then divide the miles on the trip counter by the gallons of fuel it takes to bring the tank back to full. This will only be accurate with enough miles driven before you fill up again. Low miles driven won't provide adequate data to reach an accurate conclusion.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 01-27-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 PM
FRZ
HCF Member

My 95 civic DX has that same problem, the odometer doesn't work. How does one fix that?

Old 01-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by FRZ
My 95 civic DX has that same problem, the odometer doesn't work. How does one fix that?
Does the speedometer and tripmeter work?

Last edited by RonJ; 01-28-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:34 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Doe the speedometer and tripmeter work?
Of course there not working for him. Let's see i would say 5 or 6 of my civics and accords all had a working speedo and odo when i got them but died somewhere in between selling them. Hmm i wonder if this could be a very common problem...

Hondas between the years 93-95 can't handle it because of the oh so high mileage so they die cuz they can't count that high . Try telling a buyer your speedo and odo just died a few days ago. Do you think they would believe it? Cuz sadly it was true on one or two occasions

Oh yeah i remember on my 94 accord lx about 8 months ago after my speedo and odo died they came back from the dead a couple of times, wonder how that happen, oh well guess the grim reaper took them permanently cuz they haven't come back and i still got the accord with no speedo or odo

Last edited by WILMER007; 01-28-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If fuse 24 is not blown then, most likely, you all have a problem with the VSS or its circuit.

Name:  picture_1925.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  picture_1926.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  picture_1927.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  30.4 KB

Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 PM
HCF Member

Ok well i know it's not a fuse for me, as my accord came back from the dead a couple of times and i have already checked all the fuses and they are all working ok.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by WILMER007
Ok well i know it's not a fuse for me, as my accord came back from the dead a couple of times...
Good point. Check the VSS and its circuit.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:06 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Good point. Check the VSS and its circuit.
Ok well i ain't doing **** to my accord, i'm done with her. All she ever did was overheat (which i tried everything to keep her cool), left me with no lights in the middle of the damn driving, and now to be a bi*** she decides to leave her rear *** (lights) on all the time causing me to have to unplug her every single time, leave me stranded on the street and costing me a couple of towing bills and about $500 for distributor and starter. I'm done with her. Frankly if i dont sell her she'll die right where she is and off to the junk yard. Neglect all the way... but i'm sure someone will give me at least $500 for her in her condition.

Quick Reply: 94 Civic EX (D16Z6, automatic trans) mpg