General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Clutch Bypass Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Default Clutch Bypass Unit

I am trying to install a remote start on my 2004 Honda civic, but my local shop tells me that I need to buy a clutch bypass unit. I have been searching all over the web for one, but I cannot seem to find one, anyone out there who has any idea on where I can find one, please let me know

Old 04-21-2008, 03:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Clutch Bypass Unit

I really never heard of such thing, I think the way to bypass the clutch is by wiring it the right way. I would go to bestbuy and have them install it, it may cost money to get it installed but it will be right and under warranty.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I kind of doubt Best Buy would install a remote starter on a manual, since they'd have to bypass the interlock switch... all the people I know that have had shops bypass the switch for a starter have had to sign papers saying they wouldn't tell people the shop did it or whatever.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:55 PM
HCF Member

I kinda of doubt best buy would KNOW HOW to install it
haha
those people don't even know about the products that they are trying to sell

Old 04-21-2008, 06:48 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

I kind of doubt Best Buy would install a remote starter on a manual, since they'd have to bypass the interlock switch... all the people I know that have had shops bypass the switch for a starter have had to sign papers saying they wouldn't tell people the shop did it or whatever.
Exactly what i did, and they didnt charge me extra so no you dont need that bypass. You just have to know how to wire it

Old 04-21-2008, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

dont do it. its cool to have, but it will eventually bite you. it only takes one time of leaving the car in gear to ruin your day. remote starts can occasionally start unexpectedly. trust me. its really bad if its in gear and takes off across the parking lot and comes to rest against a customers car. (not me, but my car before it was mine.)

Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
HCF Member

I always leave my car in neutral, and thats what they told me to do, just remmeember ALWAYS leave the car in neutral. No accidents for me yet and ive had it on two manual cars

Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
HCF Member

I always wanted to get one because it would be pretty convinient but unfortunately I park down hill so I always leave my car in gear, cant just trust the e-brake alone on a steep hill but other than that I never leave it in gear.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:11 PM
HCF Member

I have a remote start on my car, its wired so that the remote start is only activated if you keep your foot on the brake, put the car in neutral, engage the e-brake, release the clutch and brake, and then take the key out. The car keeps running without the key until you open and shut the door (i.e. get out) then it shuts off and my remote beeps out a little tune to tell me remote start is active. If anything happens like you dump the clutch and stall it and leave it in gear, or release the e-brake, or open a door after you've engaged remote start mode, it gets deactivated. There is no way my car could start while it is in gear. That being said, if I'm parked on a steep hill, I don't use remote start. Better to get into a cold car than to have it end up in somebody's livingroom down the street, or smashed into a tree.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 PM
HCF Member

that's not a remote start bud
think about the name
REMOTE start

Quick Reply: Clutch Bypass Unit