General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Crashed my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

ok, so an update. I was talking to my parents and it doesnt look like we are going to claim the accident, but we still have to see what insurance says. So the plan right now is that we have some shops take a look at it and see what they say. Doubt we are going to have them fix it cause thats way too much money for this fix. Anyways we might just have the shop weld in the new radiator core support. And then I can easily do the rest myself. Although my friends dad right now is actually taking welding classes for his job and my next door neighbor owns a fencing company which requires a lot of welding. I'm still thinking about asking them, but i want to have that part of the job done right so everything else will line up. Anyways tell me what you think and if any of you have an estimate on how much they will charge for replacing the radiator core support. Thanks. Also it looks like I will be keeping most of my parts that are sitting in my room, but still not sure. YAY!!

also today me and my friend(the one i crashed into) were looking at my car and in the bumper I found he exhaust tip LOL. He drives and integra. We couldnt stop laughing it was pretty funny. But anyways my parents have calmed down and I have calmed down to a lot knowing that I can easily fix this. Thanks for all the input you guys have giving me and the support. It has been a really big help!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

Glad to here you sake a step back and laugh about it, but really its not that bad of a accident and its a really easy fix.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

good to hear....
just ask your neighbor or what not... anyone can weld the support in... its simply tach welds really. drill the hole in the support and then put a bubble weld to fill the drilled hole making it solid. hell you can even now that i think about it.... use some self drilling screws and you could actualy mount the new support that way... at least for afew guides not fully mounting it forever.
i used a bunch of small vise grips and it was a bit of a PITA on afew spots to get them to clamp tight.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:21 PM
HCF Member

good idea, so you mean drill holes in so it stays in place then weld it together and then take the screws out?

EDIT: Found out some good news. My friend has professional painting supplies so I will be doing all the painting, YAY!!!!

Last edited by croninc; 02-22-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya pretty much... im sure your welding friend will know exactly what to do.
you dont really have to use a screw... i forgot i just used my bumpers impact bar mount to bolt the support to the car and then clamp it with vise grips to hold it tight while welding. those 4 bolt holes for the metal bumper brace work great.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../DSC002353.jpg

i just uploaded some large pics that might help ya out.
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../large%20pics/

Old 02-23-2009, 04:36 PM
HCF Member

Ok, so took it to a body shop today. They wanted 6,000 to fix it. I almost started laughing. Then again it was a really nice shop and they have a rep. to uphold so its going to be expensive. Shoot, I would rather get 6,000 from the insurance company and go buy a new civic.

My dad and I are going to go check out some other places this fri. We will probably be getting the core support put in so we know forsure everything is lined up correctly.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well the only thing that really lines up is the front fender bolt location since the front bolt is on the support itself but if you have the support slightly off you simply use a dremel or something and open up the mounting hole on the fender and bolt it down.... the factory bolt has a decent size washer that will hide any imperfections.
BUT everything else is no real fitment... your bumpers brace support nuts are inside the frame rail, simply put those few bolts in before having the new support welded in solid and it will all line up....

its really not that hard
has the insurance company said anything yet? and did you have full coverage insurance or not?
how much did your car blue book? i doubt your insurance company will pay anymore than blue book valve. but then again i have no clue really. luckily i haven't had to go thru insurance hassles at least not yet.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:15 PM

I'm with Addiction. Maybe take it to a shop to verify that the frame isn't tweaked at all, then just rip it all out yourself and rebuild.

This kind of thing makes me wish we all lived closer to each other. If we did, there would be an ambush rebuild project where we all show up at your door with tools and by the end of the day you've got paint drying.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

hahaha, my dad just doesnt think I can do it. So I have to go with what he says. Yes we dealt with insurance. The guy that gave us the quote said that state farm will probably call it totaled. And kbb has it for just over 6k. So maybe thats what I'll get. That would actually be great because I could easily fix the car for like 1k. Save the rest for my insurance that is going to go up. I`d much rather just go fix it cause then I wont have a point on my record and I wont have to pay more for insurance

Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by itinerant
I'm with Addiction. Maybe take it to a shop to verify that the frame isn't tweaked at all, then just rip it all out yourself and rebuild.

This kind of thing makes me wish we all lived closer to each other. If we did, there would be an ambush rebuild project where we all show up at your door with tools and by the end of the day you've got paint drying.
i would be the lazy one standing there watching haha

Quick Reply: Crashed my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!