General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Gas gage...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 AM
HCF Member
Question Gas gage...

alright so I've noticed that if i fill up my civic and drive around everywhere during the weekend, it seems as the gas is like still there.... lol it goes down a little bit. BUT then in the morning i wake up and my tank is like half way full lol!
so what happens to my gas? lol is it that it doesnt measure it accurately while driving or what?
because like if im going up a hill or what ever you can tell that the gas needle moves up or down. so that must mean the needle does work right?
lol im just curious why it happens lol

Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 AM

There is a floater in the gas tank that sends a signal to the gas gauge. If you are going up a hill, the gas surface will attempt to be level due to gravity but since the car is at an angle this means the gas surface will not be parallel to the road. Due to this, the floater will provide an inaccurate signal until you are back on a flat surface. A similar effect occurs when making turns.

However, it's strange that it doesn't move very much after driving around for a long time. Regardless of what kind of angle your car is at, the gas needle should still be accurate enough to at least show some change in the reading after being filled up.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 AM
HCF Member

Yeah thats wat i thought too.
maybe some thief goes around driving my car at night after i get home. or maybe he just takes my gas. LOL
yeah but its wierd. i noticed this a few times now after a long drive during the weekends.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Keep track of your mpg, that will show if anyone is stealing your gas.

And if you know anyone who's a mpg fanatic, it's a lot of fun to sneak up and put some extra gas in their tank once in a while.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

lol i can picture them flipping out too, wtf someone put gasoline in my gas tank.. now i wont know my correct mpg... aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahhaa, i noticed my needle goes up and down alot too with hills, i never noticed it much before but i am now, maybe thats cause before i had a ton of money just laying around and i diddnt care if i got 10mpg or not, idk, but now it seems like my car drinks gas like crazy. but yeah... its not ur needle, i think everyones goes up and down like that, as for as it being stuck, try tapping on the cluster.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:11 PM
HCF Member

akso they would be super excited they just got a really good tank with 5 extra mpg lol
i used to be like that
53mpgs in my old hatch 93

Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

Thats the same problem im having tho my gas can be at half then the needle will go to full while i drive a little bit then go back down to where it should be. I talked to a few people about the prob and the answers i have are its either the sending unit located at the gas tank or its an electrical problem behind the instrument cluster

Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 1995CivicEXBMF
Thats the same problem im having tho my gas can be at half then the needle will go to full while i drive a little bit then go back down to where it should be. I talked to a few people about the prob and the answers i have are its either the sending unit located at the gas tank or its an electrical problem behind the instrument cluster
Yeah its really wierd. lemee know if u find an answer. im still lookin lol

Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 PM
HCF Member

lol no prob ill let you know I plan to take apart my dash tomorrow... yet again... so ill see if its a wiring prob ill let you know if i find anything. Try your sending unit if you get the chance ill do that tomorrow of the next day

Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 AM
HCF Member

well i got another dash with the fuel gage and temperature still there. i might swap it out and try it out this weekened.