General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

looking for some advice..

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:30 PM
HCF Member
Default looking for some advice..

alright well heres the deal. i own a 1990 civic hatch. im looking to do an engine swap mainly due to the fact that the D15B7 engine it has now is not strong enough. i mean if im trying to go uphill it will struggle..ALOT. im looking for more power/torque...speed but not something that will drain my tank in a heartbeat.

a little more about my civic. i have a Weapon-R short ram intake, magnaflow muffler and thats just about it...i need ideas.

thanks for the input!

Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 AM
The Man

good luck with finding more power out of a sohc
its tough man,
either fix your cars looks and keep it slow if your tight on money
or use that money to save,
if you have the time and the "no how"
swap.

i think most people would say bseries only because its probably the most simple...
i say just save your money for a new car.

if thats not an option, don't waste your money on simple bolt ons.

read into a turbo, thats a lot of money, and a lot of time because you'll need to actually build your engine, build the turbo assembly, and have it tuned.

thats my two cents

Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 AM
HCF Member

A new car just isn't for me. All the bolt ons it has have been added because the stock parts have failed me. The intake was a gift.

I have been thinking of going b series but I am tight on money. but before I start making her look pretty I want her to have a decent engine. Enough power to destroy the millions of ricers here in SoCal who think a little civic won't put up much of a fight. Just looking for some input. Also I don't want anything that will make me fail smog. A clean legal swap would be nice.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM
HCF Member

passing smog in california is more of a problem on the visual end. know that if you do ANYTHING to your car that is not stock or OEM replacements you will not pass smog in california and can technically have your car taken away. california sucks. Anyway that is the extreme end of things, luckily there are almost no cops that go by the book unless they do not like you and you can easily find a smog shop that will skip the visual inspection. beating a ricer should not be hard. and if you want power out of a D you are going to need a lot of money, consider an SI b16a swap for cost efficient power gains, then you can add some bolts ons and a small turbo down the road for more power. That is just one option of many available to you!