General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Probably totalled...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Hey brad, any updates?
Well... Insurance is waiting on the police report, which has been ready and should have gotten there by now. It's in their hands. I'm just waiting for an answer. Their silence so far worries me. At least I know a guy who will likely fix the car cheaper than anyone else will.

Originally Posted by NYDrew
Watch out for travelers. They are scummy. Can't go into details because of a ongoing court proceeding, but trust me.
They seemed too good to be true, seeing as though there was an adjustor at my doorstep within 24 hours of the accident.

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
needless to say thats close to a total..... all depends how much milage on your car and the cars value.... good luck either way!
luckely ive never been in a accident yet so i havent had to deal with all the BS... at least not yet.... main problem you could have is..... can the door open? that will be a huge PITA to open if its wedged shut. and also trying to get the perfect contor if you try to fix it to keep out wind noise from that door.... if you do get the cash and think you can fix it yourself id highly suggest trying to buy that area from a good junk yard car to cut out and weld inplace of yours! will be alot easier to weld steel inplace rather than trying to bend all that metal back.....
The mileage is 106K, still young for a Civic. And no, the door won't open. I've been thinking about trying to pull the door panel off so I can pull the release from the inside the door. Seems like a lot of work. I hope they won't total it, but if they do I'll likely keep it.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya a buy back is always nice if you got a guy that can or will do the work.......

and what i would suggest to get the door open is open the front door and simply pull the hinges off the car...... that will allow some play in the door and if the rod is still hooked up to the latch HOPEFULLY the latch will release and the door can fall right off.....
just be ready to catch the door helps to have a friend help ya out!!!
just remember again... PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES at least until you get paid if you do anything!!!!!!!
but IMO wait to mess with the door until you do get paid! ya might not be able to put it back on.....

Old 11-16-2008, 03:50 PM

If I pull the hinge bolts off, won't the door stay stuck because of the latch? Or is there enough play in it? The rods are probably still there, but everything is so bent that it might not release. Tomorrow, I may try to pull the door panel off the inside. Maybe I'll be able to get in and pull the rods directly.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i wish you luck but all depends on how bad the metal is bent that is wedged into the door latch.

i went to the junk yard the other day where a civic was Tboned a pole or something and i unbolted the hinges and tried moving the latch rods and it would not pop open/off unfortunatly SOMEHOW his window survived the accident so i couldnt really just KICK the door off from the inside luckly turned out my @ss was just stupid and didnt know there was no bolt for the dash on that side.LOL so i didnt have to rip the door off after all. o well now i know how to pull the dash from my civics.LOL
tho that door was pinched up from the bottom as well as sides. urs doesnt look as bad at all compared to it.LOL

have you heard anything else from the insurance?

Old 11-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Nothing but silence lately. Last I heard, they were waiting for the police report to be mailed, but that was last week. I could have just picked it up and faxed it faster, but they wanted a sealed copy. Hell, I could have hit up the junk yard, picked up parts, fixed the damage, and had the car out of paint by now.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya keep callen them!!!!!! harass them as much as possible.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:51 PM

I took the hinge bolts out and pulled the latch rod and the door opened. Mostly. The latch part on the back of the door is completely clear. The hinge side pulls out just a little, but it looks like the body is in the way and it won't let me remove the door completely. It's like the door seal is in the way of letting me have just enough wiggle room to let me pull the thing off suicide style.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:21 AM

Got news from her insurance. They are citing her as at fault and covering the damage to my car. I get a rental later today (ugh) and can go take my car to any shop I want. They quoted damage as something like $2576.35 or something.

I will be airing the tires back up and taking it to my shop of choice soon...

Old 11-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

That's great news.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

DEFINATLY GREAT NEWS!!!!!!

now go fix it

Quick Reply: Probably totalled...