General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Problem starting. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:24 AM
Default Problem starting. Need advice

Hi

I have a 1992 civic 3dr hatch and I have a starting issue. At first I thought it might be the cap and rotor. I had that replaced and all is fine there. I thought the C&R would fix the issue but it is still happening. The engine would turn over several time and then it would sound like it starts until it stops again (lasts maybe one second). Eventually after trying this over 2 or three times (waiting 10 seconds between tries), it does kick over and stays running.

Any idea what this may be? Spark, fuel filter?

Thanks

Old 10-01-2010, 06:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

After it starts for a second and dies, do the oil and battery lights on the dash come back on? If they don't, the ignition switch is likely bad. See if you can make them come on by jiggling the key around.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:48 AM
Question

Since my last post, I have changed the fuel filter and spark plugs. It still has issues starting once in a while. It would seem to happen when you stop and start the car over short periods. It does not happen when the engine is cold.

As for the lights on the dash, they stay on if it does not start even after wiggling the key.

Not sure where to go from here.

As a side note, I noticed oil on the ignitor for one of the spark plugs when I changed it. I know this means a seal is gone but would this create the behavior?

Thanks

Old 10-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Main relay should always be considered if it hasn't been done yet. "Cranks but won't start, especially when warm" is the classic main relay. In that case, when you turn the key on but don't try to start, the CEL may not go out like it should. Firing a little and not starting is not quite like a main relay problem though.

Once started, does the car otherwise run and drive OK?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Any CEL codes?

As per mk's advice, resolder the main relay:

http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html

Old 10-17-2010, 10:18 AM

in response to mk378, Yes when the car finally starts, it runs fine.

The main relay is something I never looked at. It's a little intimidating pulling it our and resoldering myself. I wonder how much it would be just to replace it by buying a new one?

I guess I could pull it out and bring it to an electronic store to see if they can do it.

Thank you all for your suggestion and I will keep you posted on my status after checking the relay.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:05 AM
HCF Member

My Relay went bad about a month ago...I thought about resoldering it but after looking up the instructions it looked pretty difficult even if people said "Yeah it's easy!". So I just brought me a new one from Advance Auto. They cost $50 BUT you can look up cheaper relays in the shopping section of Google..copy & paste "civic+main-relay+92" onto google shopping & go from there if you're thinking about it.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 AM

Just an update. I love the internet. With the links this forum has provided me and a few google searches, I managed to pull the main relay out and expose the curcuit board with ease. Since I didn't have the tools or practice with a soldering iron, I went to the local electronics shop who saw the curcuit board and new exactly what to do. He said the solder joints were bad at the two points on the board and resoldered them perfectly. It cost me $2 and 10 minutes of my time including travel.

I can not say for sure the problem is resolved, only time will tell. So far its been good.

Thank you all for your help.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:36 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by twotonetommy
Just an update. I love the internet. With the links this forum has provided me and a few google searches, I managed to pull the main relay out and expose the curcuit board with ease. Since I didn't have the tools or practice with a soldering iron, I went to the local electronics shop who saw the curcuit board and new exactly what to do. He said the solder joints were bad at the two points on the board and resoldered them perfectly. It cost me $2 and 10 minutes of my time including travel.

I can not say for sure the problem is resolved, only time will tell. So far its been good.

Thank you all for your help.
...........Why didn't I think of that? LOL! But good stuff man...Glad it's all working out for you!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Just to follow up. The starting issues have gone away thanks to this forum.