General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

The Rest of the Oil.....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:14 AM
HCF Member
Default The Rest of the Oil.....?

I just had a thought....As we know it a Civic can hold anywhere from 2.9 qt-3.5qt of oil. But if you want a pretty good deal from one of these auto parts store you would get a 5 Qt jug(as opposed to 3 or 4-single qts which will cost you more in the long run) and a filter for a weekly advertised deal.

So you do your OIL change & still got some Oil left, so you store the leftover oil JUST IN CASE(but it never gets used).

3-4 months later you do another oil change but with a different kind of BRAND oil(same grade) because it's another good deal...again you have oil left from this oil change, you store it.

3-4 months later you do another oil change...etc...etc...

NOW what do you PERSONALLY do with the all these different brands of oil?

Should you combine them for another oil change in the future?
But wait....I thought all oil brands wasn't the same, because most of the time people on this forum(or other Civic forum) are always saying.."I use this brand, and it's keep my car running clean!" or "I run this oil through my engine & I couldn't wait for my next oil change!"

So here's another question....When you store oil for months & months(leftover oil) does it tend to breakdown in anyway?

I used to be in the Army handling Petroleum products & know Oils have an expiration date(Army uses the same grades of Oil as in the real world). But where's the expiration date on the oils sold at auto part stores?
I got 3 jugs of oil(all different brands) and can't find the expiration date anywhere. Do they ever expire?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 AM

Buy same brand.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Super Cereal Admin

You can mix different brands of the same viscosity oil with no issues.

Personally, I always buy the same brand (Mobil 1 full synthetic) oil.

And heat and friction is what breaks down oil; it would take a long time for it to break down while in the bottle on a shelf.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:54 PM

Mix away with no worries...you will have a nice Frankenblend for your engine. All the latest oils today are compatible with each other. Shelf life after opened is 1 year as well.

For Mobil & SOPUS (Shell/Pennzoil/Qstate) products shelf life unopened if kept inside is 60 months. Once opened 12 months. If kept in a garage subjected to freezing temps 24 months

Last edited by KB09CIVIC; 04-03-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by reaper2022
You can mix different brands of the same viscosity oil with no issues.
This. It will not break down sitting in a container. Just make sure the lid is on so nothing gets in there.