General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Someone hit my car....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:33 PM
HCF Member
Default Someone hit my car....

So I got out to my car from college this past Friday and noticed that someone had backed up onto my hood and scraped the crap out of it and my bumper! Of course they didnt leave any information or a note or anything UGH.... I got an estimate and turned out to be around $1000 which I dont have, so with the bad weather this time of year here in NY, I decided that I would just paint over the scratches w/ touch up paint and clear so that the hood wouldnt rust from the salt and water/snow. I was talking w/ the mechanic at my work and he said that he would help me paint the hood when the weather gets nicer out this summer, so I decided to look around and see if I can find some paint online and price shop around. Does anyone have any ideas where I could find Clover Green Pearl Metalic (G95P) for a 2000 civic ex? Or even car paint/clearcoat in general and I could search around for the right color...

Oh also, does anyone know if I would need to sand everything down and start all over w/ primer or if I could just sand the clear and paint off and lay new paint/clear on top of it? Also do you think a qt would be enough for the hood/bumper or should I get more? Sorry about all the questions lol thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it.

- Craig

Old 01-20-2008, 10:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Someone hit my car....

When my hood for my accord got kind of beaten up..I purchase me 1 qt..You also need the following reducer, hardener,clearcot...But I forgot what's the proper amount for the 1st two items I know that 1qt of clear coat should do it. I still had some paint left over from my hood.You don't need to primer it.just sand it down but not to down to the metal..I buddy of my dad does body work so he hooked me up..He only charge me 50.00 bucks and he did all the preparation for the hood. I believe I wasted about 125.00 for all the materials I needed. He has been doing body work for over 30yrs and my hood was painted about 5yrs ago and still looks good.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:39 PM
HCF Member

Craig,
Don't feel bad- some dumba$$ in an F350 worktruck just rear-ended my wife's '06 Civic. The damage wasn't that bad (rear bumper skin ripped up, small dent on the trunk, bumper structure broken), but it's still easily $4k-5k in damage. You would think a 4 ton truck would destroy a little Honda, but they build 'em pretty good- no rear unibody damage, tailights intact,trunk lid and door seam lines are still good.

I used to do some paint and bodywork myself, and I doubt you really need to sand down to the metal- just enough to rough the rough the paint up. Any gouges or imperfections in the bumper skin should be smoothed down and filled with some 3M 2-part flexible repair material, and then resandedsmooth. Any dents/scratches in the hood should be preppedand filled as well, then primered with a primer/surfacer with flex agent. The color coat and clear coat should also be mixed with a flex agent to keep them from cracking and a hardener to keep them scratch resistant.

Any good auto paint supply store should be able to mix up your paint, just make sure you stick to one brand of auto paint when you buy your color, clear, flex agent, reducer, hardener, etc. I've used PPG products in the past with very good results- it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. BTW,spend the money, buy the good materials, and get someonewith some skills or a shop to refinish your car- no one ever duplicated a factory finish with a spray can from Pep Boys.

Geno

Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 PM
HCF Member

This past weekend I took the car to wokr in the heated shop and cleaned the spots and painted them w/ touch up paint and clear coat so that the hood wont rust before I can do something real about it this summer.

But yeah, the mechanic at work has painted his sons three trucks, and they all came out fairly nice looking, esp the one they used clear coat on, and I can use the shop at work to do it, at least that is how they have done it w/ their trucks. I really want to paint the whole car eventually, but I dont want to drag the mechanic into more work than he has offered to help me with, esp because we sanded and painted a couple work vans last summer and I know how much of a pain it is to do all of that, and we did a fast job too... But even if he and I can get the hood and bumper looking good again, then since the clearcoat isnt terrible on the rest of the car, just a few spots where it is starting to crack like the roof and trunk, I can wait until I graduate and find a job and then get the whole car painted and have the other dents fixed at a real body shop so the car looks perfect again. Thanks for all of your help, Ill be sure to post again when I do something about it with pics and stuff.

- Craig