General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Teaching someone stick...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:07 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Teaching someone stick...

^ Exactly how I do it. I used to try to work the clutch slowly, but the ebrake saves the clutch big time.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:02 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: bakertime

^ Exactly how I do it. I used to try to work the clutch slowly, but the ebrake saves the clutch big time.
i hope you don't still do that! j/k

i did that like my first day or two of learning, after that i'd just gun it until i got the threshold of the clutch and gas on an incline until i got the hang of it

Old 02-26-2007, 02:03 AM

Ya.. i never understood why people have problems with hills and manuals.. .you just put more gas on than you usually do...

I mean, i killed it many, many times when I was learning... many times.. but then i didnt really have a big problem... guess it just came naturally to me... then after a few months of driving my honda (the first 6 ish months i had a lisence i drove a massive auto 64' thunderbird) everything about manuals just starting clicking and making sense, like matching up rpms and how the clutch relates to the gas and all that...

Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 AM

i had to learn on a hill, as I lived on one...

as such, driving manual on hills comes naturally

Old 02-26-2007, 01:10 PM
HCF Member

I don't use the ebrake unless it's an extreme hill, but where I live there are definitely a few that I use it on when I get that guy behind me who is right on my bumper. There's a certain point where no matter how good you are at the clutch, it's not worth it to slip it as much as you need to to get a smooth start on a hill (not to mention if theres gravel/ salt and your tires start to spin...)

Old 02-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

LOL when i drove my old 86crx manual i used the Ebrake all the time on hills and enclines.LOL
worked..... all i can say on that...
tho teaching friends is alot harder and more frustrating. LOL

i KINDA taught my friend how to drive the crx but he always screwed up the gears............. he did good with no burnen the clutch BUT he always didnt have the pedal down enough when shifting gears... and he always reved way to high in 1st gear.LOL

BUT he could at least get around decently......

hell my first manual i tried to pull in my garage and took me about 30 mins to get it in. LMFAO

then i learned on my bus that i got for free.... LFMAO
try driving that sucker around when learning. LFMAO
BUT at least my dad taught me and had enough pactence with me while i tried and tried again..... hahahaha

Old 02-26-2007, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

I drove a big 32ft moving truck once, it was a stick, I never stalled it, lol.. Kinda funny I could stall a little chevy but not a huge truck.

Those things are fun btw.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

I learned stick on my dads (and soon after my) 98 Outback... He started me off on a hill facing downwards and told me "Ok, now back up." I almost had a heard attack, I was like ARE U KIDDING? lol but I used the e-brake trick and proceeded to back right into a tree, no damage luckily and I didnt stall suprisingly lol. Anyway, I told my dad see what you get for making me do that my first time out?? haha Im so glad that he made me learn stick before I took my road test (which I took in the Outback, btw) because its all I will drive now... When the Outback died, I looked at a couple automatic cars and hated them all... then I found my 00 EX coupe and fell in love lol. But yeah, everyone has their share of hill issues, I just taught my friend how to drive on his 07 Accord coupe last Friday, I was scared cause he was driving on a major road, but once he got on the flat he was ok lol.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Stumasters
Kinda funny I could stall a little chevy but not a huge truck.
Those things are fun btw.
ya that is funny! i only stalled my bus like twice and thats when i first started..... funniest thing i thought was throwing that long @ss shifter. LMFAO makes ya feel like a trucker..... HAHAHAHA
tho ive only had the bus on the road once... and the gas pedal linkage started messen up! i figure i got to buy a aftermarket gas pedal cause the linkages they have on the bus are hard to figure out whats realy wrong... i just know it wont move more than 1/4inch...
thought about asking the church mechanic to fix it for some money.... since im sure theyve done it pleanty of times.... hell i can drive it to the church cause its just down the road... i just wont be going that fast.LOL