General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Starting a stick shift car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 05:51 AM
HCF Member
Default Starting a stick shift car?

just a simple question here.

what is the proper way of starting a manual transmission car up.

lets say you have it parked in neutral and have the e-brake on, and after it has been sitting for hours, you get in to...........do you have to press clutch down only, or should you press clutch and brake dont before, and when you press down clutch and brake, should you release e-brake before starting car??

Old 09-28-2005, 07:14 AM
Default RE: Starting a stick shift car?

I don't know if there is a right way. I always press down the clutch before I start it up. I know at times when I thought it was in neutral or forgot it was in gear I started it up and the car lutched because it was in gear. I release the emergency brake last.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Heres what I do. Hop in, put the clutch to the floor, spin my headlight button and ignition at the same time (like some sort of superhero), once the car is running i place my foot on the brake, drop the e-brake, then go!

Old 09-28-2005, 10:16 AM
HCF Member

I don't know what it is for your specific year, but according tio my 88s owners manual it states that it's best to push down the clutch while having the car in neutral. It's not going to kill anything if you don't press the clutch in, but do make sure, and I mean make it a point of double-checking, that it's in neutral. The owner's son at the Good Year shop where I had my brakes replaced was an idiot and started it in first. Aside from half-crushing one of the mechanics knees, I had to throw him out of my car. So yeah, just the neutral part is key.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:14 AM

ok these guys dont know what there talking about!!!!

step one: go into car.\
step 2: jam key in cd player.
step 3. roll car foward.
step 4 get back in and through it in revers.
step 5: at the shop try to keep calm when they tell you how dumb that was.
step 6: try it again.

ha ha j/k it really doent matter how u start it. these guys got it down.... now stoping just remmeber to keep it in gear of the e-brake in when you park.... an embarrasing mistake.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Mad7s

I don't know what it is for your specific year, but according tio my 88s owners manual it states that it's best to push down the clutch while having the car in neutral. It's not going to kill anything if you don't press the clutch in, but do make sure, and I mean make it a point of double-checking, that it's in neutral. The owner's son at the Good Year shop where I had my brakes replaced was an idiot and started it in first. Aside from half-crushing one of the mechanics knees, I had to throw him out of my car. So yeah, just the neutral part is key.
for the first time in my life, i tried to start my car without my foot on the clutch the other day. It was the wierdest thing, it was like i just totally flaked out for a second. I've been driving a stick since i was 12 (i'm 22 now), and i have never even come close to doing this, it blew my mind. But anyway, when i turned the key, it did nothing. Dunno if thats a feature they put in the 99+'s or what, but it should have lurched like crazy.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:42 AM

i tried starting mine its an 01..... gotta have the clutch in.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:43 AM

Hondas don't start unless you push in the clutch... maybe that explains your weird experience.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:55 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kappa22

Hondas don't start unless you push in the clutch
Unless the previous owner insalled a remote starter and disabled that "feature". And then when they sold you the car, they disabled the remote starter because they didn't want you to kill yourself or any innocent bystanders. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Kappa22

Hondas don't start unless you push in the clutch... maybe that explains your weird experience.
that wasnt the wierd part smartass. The wierd part was that i actually tried turning the key without my foot on the clutch, as i'd never done that before

Quick Reply: Starting a stick shift car?