Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 civic dx craigslist buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Default 98 civic dx craigslist buy

Okay total noob here. I just bought my first honda to use as a daily driver to save fuel. The car runs fine after it has been driven a bit but upon first start and take off is the problem. I can start it and back out of the driveway then put it in 1st to take off and it sputters and misses and acts like its going to stall out. usually it will keep creeping under 3mph. I can push in the clutch and rev it up and try to take off again and it helps very little. usually after about a thousand feet or so all of a sudden the car will come to life and drive just fine.

I have taken some photos of the engine and some things that might be a problem and hopefully someone knows what to do easily. It has also been taken to a shop and a diagnostics tool cant seem to connect to it.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:11 AM
HCF Member

Check to see if you have a clogged cat, from your description I think this might be the culprit.

But also try some inexpensive remedies first see if that helps. Replace the plug wires, distributor cap and rotor (check for corrosion and remove or replace). Run injector cleaner, or remove and clean. Report back if problem still persists.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Picture 1 and 2: that is not where the diagnostic tool plugs to. It is an OBDII model so the standard OBDII connector is under the dash on the driver's side like every other 1996 or later car. I think that plug under the hood may be for the cruise control actuator which has been removed.

Picture 3: That hose would go to the A/C compressor that you don't have.

Picture 4: I think that is for the old design with a remote MAP sensor, it may just be blocked off. See if you can blow air into it.

Picture 5: The white plastic sensor is the Intake Air Temperature and it is important for proper running, and is likely the cause of the driveability problem you have. There needs to be a harness plugged into it. The nipple beside it is to supply vacuum to the cruise control actuator which you no longer have. It needs to be capped off so there is no leak.

If it runs good sometimes, the cat is not clogged, and the ignition is probably OK. Those would cause a permanent problem.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:03 AM

Sorry I was in a hurry and forgot to mention I have already replaced the following. Fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotar button, and added a fuel additive to a tank.

I am aware that that the harness shown is not for the diagnostic tool. I have had several parts stores as well as a mechanic shop try to read and it will not connect. The plug fits, it just does t pull a reading. I will get a vacuum hose cap and plug off the one in the back. Sounds like the white plastic plug is going to be my problem, but where in the heck Would it go to? I can't find anything to plug into it. Also the thing that comes out of the throttle body, I have another throttle body where that hole has been sealed off on the inside. Should I out that throttle body back on?

Old 09-05-2014, 08:06 AM

Also the nipple next to the white cap, while running I can plug with my finger and it is sacking air in. While I cover it the idea goes down from around 2k to what sounds like maybe 1k?