Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC compressor cuts out during heat of day

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Default AC compressor cuts out during heat of day

Hi all:

I am new here but would like to present a problem I have been having with my 2006 civic for over one year now. During the heat of the day here in beautiful south florida the ac cuts out, the condenser fan keeps turning etc. In the morning the ac works great, going home it generally works and during the relatively cool months it works all the time. The dealers just keep changing parts. I have spent over 1500 dollars already and the problem keeps coming up. The following parts have already been changed: Relays for both compressor and condenser fan, low pressure cut out switch, service valves (first dealer said system was leaking which was causing the problem), evaportor (second guess for leak area) and finally the thermal protector on the compressor. Also after the evaporator change out the compressor clutch no longer cycles - I had 2 degree F air coming out of the vent last evening. Anyone have any ideas about the cause. Perhaps a weak clutch coil? which weakens in the heat? The compressor sounds fine and I can cycle the clutch with the buttons on the cabin control panel. I am kind of going nuts here. It is not comfortable driving in south florida in July without AC. Thanks much for your help

Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Reduce the clutch gap. The coil always gets weaker when hot, if the gap is marginal it won't pull in.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the advice - sounds right

Old 07-05-2012, 06:10 AM
Thumbs up ac compresssor clutch

Originally Posted by jay1317
Hi all:

I am new here but would like to present a problem I have been having with my 2006 civic for over one year now. During the heat of the day here in beautiful south florida the ac cuts out, the condenser fan keeps turning etc. In the morning the ac works great, going home it generally works and during the relatively cool months it works all the time. The dealers just keep changing parts. I have spent over 1500 dollars already and the problem keeps coming up. The following parts have already been changed: Relays for both compressor and condenser fan, low pressure cut out switch, service valves (first dealer said system was leaking which was causing the problem), evaportor (second guess for leak area) and finally the thermal protector on the compressor. Also after the evaporator change out the compressor clutch no longer cycles - I had 2 degree F air coming out of the vent last evening. Anyone have any ideas about the cause. Perhaps a weak clutch coil? which weakens in the heat? The compressor sounds fine and I can cycle the clutch with the buttons on the cabin control panel. I am kind of going nuts here. It is not comfortable driving in south florida in July without AC. Thanks much for your help
hi im also having the same problem when is hot hot weather ac clutch not turning. when the weather is not so hot everything work.so is the thermal protector is the only problem also did you change the shim for the ac clutch.
you can email me at neons1@yahoo.com thanks?