Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Daytime Running Lights problem

Old 05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
hsb
Default Daytime Running Lights problem

Hi guys, need some help.

I got a Civic '02 and sometimes (after releasing the hand brake) the DRL sign lights up and loud noise is coming from the glove compartment area. After investigation, I found out the right light is not on, while the left is fine (when the drl sign shows up and the car makes noise).

Sometimes switching to high beam for a second fixes this. The noise and sign goes away, and the right light appears again. Also, putting on the head light turns off the noise but when turning them off the car goes back to the noise/sign showing.

I'm guessing the DRL module or relay is the reason, but I have no idea how to check it and where its located. Any help would be great.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Daytime Running Lights problem

I think you are on track with your thinking, but I can't figure out what of relevance is located behind the glove box?

Name:  picture_0963.jpg
Views: 22326
Size:  67.1 KB

Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When you turn the lights on low beam for night driving, does the right one stay on all the time?

I think the first thing to do is try a new bulb in the right headlight and/or check for a bad connection at the bulb.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Based on mk's idea, the noise you think is coming from behind the glove box is possibly from the headlight forward of the glove box.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:03 PM
HCF Member

i was thinking the same as mk, it could be a bulb fuse

Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 PM

I came across this thread a little late, but my 01 civic has the exact problem. I was told that the a board has to be repaired in behind the glove box. I still have yet to get it repaired, but now my DRL do not work at all. I did notice that the fuse has blown. I tried replacing the fuse but it no longer makes that buzzing sound and the DRL still do not work. I do have another problem with my lights on the Civic. The Right high beam does not work. I replaced the bulb and that did not help, checked fuses and it they seem to be ok. I am wondering if there is another electrical problem with the wiring. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could try? I owned this car right from day 1 and all has been great on it except for the front struts and now these 2 electrical problems. The DRL I have been able to live with by turning on my lights all the time, but I do miss my right high beam.

Thanks

Old 11-04-2008, 06:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I think the '01 may have had a recall on the headlight sockets. The part that plugs into the bulb melts and loses contact.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks mk378, I will look into the recall.
Now if only I can figure out what happened to my DRL.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:01 PM

I have a 2002 civic. I am having the same problem except my left light will not work some times. My right light works. My left high beam does not work. My DRL Light is on on my dash.

I have no idea what the problem is.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Smile Daytime Running Light Problem

Hi guys. I recently acquired a used '01 Civic, and I think that car suffers from a series of very similar symptoms...
- DRL lit on dashboard
- DRL sign turns off when headlights are switched on (whether high or low beams)
- Blown DRL 10A fuse
- Upon DRL fuse replacement, noise coming from the glove compartment area
- Changed gray DRL relay (RC-5102); no change, same buzzing noise
- Took off the DRL module from under the bottom left of the dash. Took it apart to inspect all solderings. No clear evidence of a cold one, but nonetheless re-soldered a few that didn't look as good as the others. Put everything back into place: same exact scenario.
- Decided to inspect the right headlight bulb: to my surprise, the high beam wire was cut and the bulb itself was cracked in its forward portion. Went back to Canadian Tire (for the 3rd time today!) and bought a new bulb. Replaced it, and I still have the exact same problem!!

I did notice though that the high beam is definitely linked to this problem, since even when the headlights are off, simply having the high beams on (by pressing the steering-mounted lever) turns off both the buzzing sound and DRL sign. Now that I've exhausted all of what I could try today, I'm turning to you guys; maybe someone could shed some light into this (no pun intended!!) Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights problem