Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Daytime Running Lights problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 06:02 AM
HCF Member

Just bumping this up before it vapourizes, too much work to recover if lost, and it does get a lot of hits.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Smile A good Fix

Originally Posted by civic2001
Here is the full meal deal. This Canadian Civic has a Daytime Running Light Module AND a Daytime Running Light Relay, two different animals. The reason why the 10A fuse was blowing was because of the RELAY, not the MODULE. The problem with the relay is that there is a snubber diode across the COIL IN THE RELAY that was shorted out. I replaced the diode with a 1N4001 to fix the problem. The DRL Module is under the dash to the Left side of the steering wheel. The RELAY is behind the glove compartment on the LEFT side of the Glove Compartment opening. There are two relays on the left, a black and a gray, the gray DRL RELAY is forward of the black relay. You can remove the cover of the DRL Relay to fix, it has the markings "MITSUBA RC-5102". The DRL Module is labeled "MITSUBA RZ-0126". The DRL MOdule also has two relays inside, along with about 50 discrete components, that may or may not have "bad solder joints" in the development progress, which may or may not have contributed to the death of the snubber diode in the DRL RELAY.
I found two bad joints to a relay in the DRL module, resoldered them & everything appears to be working.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM
HCF Member

Do a search for "Full meal Deal" and it explains about the bad solder joints in the DRL module causing the relay chatter.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:25 PM

no headlights, drl or hibeams

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same problem JeepFan. i bought the new relay for in behind the glove box and just bought a new drl relay so far ive spent 180$ on both parts and still no headlights at all. ive checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood none were blown. Is it possible that my headlights are dead? i bought 2 new head lamps about 3yrs ago, they should be good still right? i think tomorrow i will pull my headlamps out and try replacing them.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civic2001
Here is the full meal deal. This Canadian Civic has a Daytime Running Light Module AND a Daytime Running Light Relay, two different animals. The reason why the 10A fuse was blowing was because of the RELAY, not the MODULE. The problem with the relay is that there is a snubber diode across the COIL IN THE RELAY that was shorted out. I replaced the diode with a 1N4001 to fix the problem. The DRL Module is under the dash to the Left side of the steering wheel. The RELAY is behind the glove compartment on the LEFT side of the Glove Compartment opening. There are two relays on the left, a black and a gray, the gray DRL RELAY is forward of the black relay. You can remove the cover of the DRL Relay to fix, it has the markings "MITSUBA RC-5102". The DRL Module is labeled "MITSUBA RZ-0126". The DRL MOdule also has two relays inside, along with about 50 discrete components, that may or may not have "bad solder joints" in the development progress, which may or may not have contributed to the death of the snubber diode in the DRL RELAY.
The rest of the meal, a hot fudge sundae:

The DRL module, LH under dash, has bad solder joints that cause the DRL Relay (behind the Glove Compartment) to chatter. If the DRL Relay is still chattering then all you need to do is fix the bad solder joints in the DRL Module under the LH dash. If not, this chattering of the DRL relay eventually shorts out the snubber diode across the DRL relay coil which in turn causes the 10A DRL Fuse to blow. Use a 1N4001 (or equiv) diode to fix the DRL relay (watch the band on the diode for polarity), repair the solder joints in the DRL Module, they are very obviously bad, not enough heat on the assembly line. Then replace the fuse and you are good to go.

This rework is just an excuse to bump this thread up before it vapourizes, it has taken a lot of hits, wouldn't want to lose it.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:38 PM
Default DRL 2004 honda civc

Hi i'd to know if anyone can help me with the DRL issues im having. All lights work except the daytime running lights. I have re-solder the broken solder on the drl module and have put a new fuse and everytime i start up my car the fuse burns out on me and still do not have daytime running lights. can anyone help me with this problem

Old 01-14-2018, 08:30 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Stephane Huard
Hi i'd to know if anyone can help me with the DRL issues im having. All lights work except the daytime running lights. I have re-solder the broken solder on the drl module and have put a new fuse and everytime i start up my car the fuse burns out on me and still do not have daytime running lights. can anyone help me with this problem
You have not fixed the "snubber diode" in the DRL relay which is located behind the glove box. You have not read all the details about cause and effect.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:13 AM

Where can i get a snubber diode? and how to fix it?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:28 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Stephane Huard
Where can i get a snubber diode? and how to fix it?
You can get a 1N4001 diode from Radio Shack (Circuit City in Canada), it is a very common diode.

You need to remove the plug in DRL relay behind the glove box and pull the cover off.
In all likelihood the existing diode will be burnt so be careful to note the polarity of the diode by noting the end that has the BAND.
Replacing the diode will require soldering skills. If you do not have the soldering skills then buy a new relay from the stealership.
If you install the diode backwards it will still blow 10A DRL Fuse.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:59 AM

My Drl relay is on the driver side left so im assuming unplug that before installing new diode. I'm also assuming that the diode is not too far from the drl relay or is it in behind the glove box?

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights problem