Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine rough, idle rough.. motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:21 AM
HCF Member
Default Engine rough, idle rough.. motor mounts?

Well, I have noticed lately that my engine is kinda idleing rough, usualy when in gear and at a red light or etc.

I also notice that when i take off from a light I seem to hear a kind of creaking sound, that to me sounds like stressed metal or a loose bracket or mount somewhere.

Now my motor mounts are old, obviously they are stock and have never been replaced. I am wondering if anyone else thinks it might be a mount issue that I am facing.

I really dont know crap about the inserts and what not, I would probably just get all new stock mounts installed if I were to replace them, i guess I am just looking at a second opinion.

The only recent upgrades I have added would be my 02 sensor, which since then I have noticed a little rougher idle, but I can't really see where that would have affected my idle that badly.

toss me your ideas.

tia... stu

Old 01-20-2008, 05:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Engine rough, idle rough.. motor mounts?

well i would get a friend get in the car and put the car in gear, D then R D R with afew seconds between gears while holding the brakes and you outside the car with the hood up look at the motor when he puts it in gear.... if it moves ALOT then ya might have to check motor mounts....

Old 01-20-2008, 11:06 AM
HCF Member

Thats exactly what i thought about trying. I can probably just throw the E-brake on, and have my wife sit in the car just in case, ready to apply brake pressure.

Then I can just throw it in drive, and goose the throttle a little, or have her move it back and forth. I hear its a pain in the *** to change all your mounts, I really hope I can just find 1 thats a problem and replace it alone.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya if its a automatic ya dont have to even touch the gas pedal... the torque from just TRYING to turn the wheels will make it move.... tho i highly doubt all your mounts are bad.LOL
thiers like 5 mounts
unless youve been in a hard wreck i dont see them being the problem...