Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How Can I Test How Badly I Messed Up the Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Default How Can I Test How Badly I Messed Up the Transmission?

First and foremost, I am young and stupid. Most importantly, I am retarded. That being said, I went on the highway with my 2012 Honda Civic automatic. I don't know much about gears, and was fooling around with some buddies constantly shifting from D to 2 D to 1 at high speeds. Honestly, I didn't even know 1 was for going up a steep hill. This is how much of an idiot I am.

This morning, after the car has been sitting for ten hours or so, I drove the car around 40 mph, and did not see any stalling. Should I test it again on the highway at a certain speed or rpm? I get that I'm dumb, and a n00b. You're more than welcomed to call me that, but please I need a serious answer along with it.

Thanks,
J

Old 08-15-2013, 11:55 AM

If there are no abnormal noises or feelings, it's fine. You will know when something breaks.

D1 and all that autotragic stuff is mainly for slowing the engine down without pushing on the brake pedal (sliding in snow/ice etc).

If you were dropping into D2 or 1 on the highway, I would be more concerned with overrevving the engine. how high on the tech did it go?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:42 PM

I don't remember, but I don't think it hit red...from my memory at least. Thanks for the response!

Old 08-15-2013, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

I doubt you could even shift from D to 1 at highway speed. The TCM would prevent that from happening. Were you to actually shift from D to 1 at 60mph, the engine would have hit redline and possibly blown the engine before damaging the tranny. The TCM would only allow the transmission to shift to the lowest gear that is within range of the shift point.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:10 AM

I was reading some things online about that. The problem is that I did, and the engine didn't give out. I also managed to drive an extra 20 minutes (on D) to get home. The car also started fine yesterday. (I haven't driven it today, yet). At one point at 1, it made a funny noise, and I dropped it back to D immediately, and I stopped messing with the car right after that. I still want to make sure everything is okay, but I guess the moral of the story is count my lucky stars and stop acting like a ****ing retard?

Old 08-16-2013, 05:54 AM
HCF Member

Yeah that's really really stupid. I would think the computer would keep the car from going into that low of a gear though.

I had to drive my dad's Sienna for a day and since I'm used to driving stick when I got to the top of the driveway I tried to pull it out of gear while still going like 15 mph and the shifter ended in reverse but the computer wouldn't let the tranny shift.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:10 AM

Besides beating myself up for it, I've been scratching my head a lot. I may take it on the highway again to see if it acts up. I have no idea how else to "test" the car out for other damages.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If it still drives OK just keep going and don't do it again. Be aware that the Civic automatics aren't real durable even in ordinary driving. It's important to change the fluid every 30,000 miles and use only Honda fluid.

Last edited by mk378; 08-16-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:03 AM

We've been taking the car to the Honda dealer for all the maintenance. So far, everything is always done on schedule. My family has been driving Hondas for decades, and from what I remember, we never go to another dealer unless in a rare emergency.

I drove it around again. Nothing. I did notice on the highway, as I was picking up speed, the car stayed around 2000 rpm. However, as I exited and picked up speed to merge, it went to 3000 rpm. There is a very, very, very faint whistling like sound when I'm at the red light and then use the gas when the light changes. It's barely audible. I have no idea if it has always done this, because normally I'm listening to the radio.

This is a dumb observation, but the ECON button is always on. I know it's for FE, but I have no idea if it may played a role in my moronic antics.