Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 PM
HCF Member
Default Oil Pressure

Hey guys i just got a oil pressure gagues in the mail and basically it came with whats in the picture

i was wondering if i had to install sensor of if i could just tap into the
existing one.
it has three wire black and red for power and green for the signal

i have a 96 civic dx

thanks

Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure-img_0564.jpg  
Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The stock sensor is just an on / off switch that turns the light on when the pressure is really low. So you would need to replace it with the supplied sensor to get proportional readings instead of on / off. The sensor is on the back of the engine directly above the oil filter. Some people fit a tee to the two sensors so they can have the stock sensor and light still work.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM
HCF Member
Default Thanks

okay that good to know -i was looking at it and it looks hard to get to -would you have to take out the oil filter or the parts it. and also if i take outhe the old senor will lots of oil come out, or is it just a simple switch out
?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

With the engine not running (of course) when you unscrew the sensor, very little oil will come out. It is much easier to reach from underneath the car.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 PM
HCF Member
Default Reply

Alright, Thanks for the help!!!

would also happen to know where the water temp sensor is because i have a gauge for that too
it came with a sensor too would ihave to do the some thing and replace the old with the new?

RE: i was just looking at and the oil filter is direct below it (i think) im guessing u just go around it?

Last edited by Brandon Saletta; 08-15-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 PM
HCF Member

Doesn't your car have a coolant temp gauge from the factory? An easy way to install oil pressure and temperature (my favorite) gauges is to buy an oil filter adapter plate. It contains ports for up to 3 sensors (I believe) and mounts in between the oil filter and the engine. I installed a triple pillar pod with vac/boost, oil temp and oil pressure in my Mazda.
You can see pics here:

Untitled 1

My Honda has a double pod with tach and clock but should've added an oil temp gauge as well. The oil temp gauge tells you when it is safe to rev the engine to "higher" levels. I guess you can use the oil pressure gauge to know when to do this as well, since as oil temp rises, oil pressure decreases.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 AM

Just buy an oil sandwich adaptor plate for the oil pressure sensor. Much easier and the car still has the stock sensors in it.

No need for a water temp sensor IMO. You can get an inline sensor adaptor for that if you do want one though.