Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tire pressure warning light

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Default Tire pressure warning light

Hi, new to the forum. Bought my 08' Honda Civic Hybrid in 3/08' and have 12,000 miles, bought brand new. My tire pressure warning light has come on 4 times since March. (Not the TPMS light) The first time I took to the dealer and they checked and said nothing wrong, left drove home and the light remained on even though they said nothing wrong. My husband checked air pressure and all four tires were significantly low. The next time the light came on I took to another dealer and they checked and they said they were low and added air. The light came one two more times, the last time was on Tuesday this week. I'm adding more air to my tires than oil changes. Their excuse was that "For each 15 degrees the temp drops you will lose 1 pound of air pressure, that the side walls are thin on the hybrid tires and therefore require more maintenance". I asked a fellow employee who has a
07' Hybrid and he has not experienced this problem. I do not race, drive wild around the corners, ect. I actually try for better gas milage so I lay off the pedal.

What do you think???

Old 11-23-2008, 06:28 PM
HCF Member

sounds to me like there is a serious leak issue with your tires. I'd take it back to your dealer and speak with the manager and demand new tires. it looks to me like they should never be leaking like this. I normally need to add air to my tires roughly twice a year although I check it more often than that.

the dealer is right in saying that as the temperature drops, you do need to add more pressure. however, getting 4 low pressure lights is not a normally occurence considering that you've only had this vehicle for 8 months.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I could believe the part about the high-mpg tires leaking more. A normal ordinary tire will lose a measurable amount of air over a couple of months.